Help with pH

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Idk how many of you are familiar with snakes, but a couple months ago I received a trio of Banded file snakes, Acrochordus granulatus, and I've been keeping them in a tub with no filter but frequent wc's. These guys require extremely acidic water so I've been maintaining the ph in the tub at 6.0 while I'm getting the aquarium all set up and cycled. Problem is that I cannot for the life of me keep the pH stable at 6.0!!! I've been using seachem acid buffer to lower the pH but within an hour or two it jumps right back up to 7.0. I also have driftwood and almond leaves in the tank to add tannins and drop it but they're not helping at all. In the tubs with no filter they're completely stable but in this tank with filtration with very low flow, it will not. Ideas guys! And here's a pic of them

image.jpeg

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Maybe try peat or almond leaf tea. By boiling it you can get a higher concentration of tannins. I have never used it, but have seen some info on the web.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Maybe I've been using the wrong peat. Can one of you show me the type you've been using and where I can get?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I bought this bag at Lowes and I think Home Depot would carry something similar.
View attachment 1252119
This can work. I got a dried block of peat at a local reptile place, chipped off but and stuck it in a stocking to put in the filter. Can work

Reactions: Aw3s0m3
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store