Help with pH

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I may be wrong here as I have no experience with snakes, and don't care to, lol, but similar to how we do it with fish, wouldn't the OP be better off just getting the snakes used to the water he has work out better than messing around with the ph. Seems to me he is just asking for a ph crash by adding chemicals and what not to his water to try and achieve a certain ph.

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
I agree with Fish Tank Travis, if the ph only goes back up to 7 and stays that way that's not too bad. I'm sure a stable ph is more important for all aquatic animals than going through the stress of ph swings.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I may be wrong here as I have no experience with snakes, and don't care to, lol, but similar to how we do it with fish, wouldn't the OP be better off just getting the snakes used to the water he has work out better than messing around with the ph. Seems to me he is just asking for a ph crash by adding chemicals and what not to his water to try and achieve a certain ph.
I agree with Fish Tank Travis, if the ph only goes back up to 7 and stays that way that's not too bad. I'm sure a stable ph is more important for all aquatic animals than going through the stress of ph swings.
These snakes have an extremely horrible track record here in captivity. They do not ship well and they do not adapt well. Nobody knows why yet bc majority die two weeks later from a disease we still know very little about that they call white spot fungus. I have kept mine alive for over two months now by mimicking their exact environment which includes keeping their water at a pH of 6.0. Trust me. Lots of people have tried acclimating theirs to a higher pH , including me in the past, and they start to develop the white spot and in this particular species, white spot is a death sentence. You guys do not understand how difficult this species really is to keep here in the US. In Asia, they seem to do extremely well in even the ****tiest conditions but every single one that shows up in Europe or Asia usually develop the white spot during shipping and die not long after. That's why I'm so diligent on keeping the pH at 6.0. Maybe one day, if I'm able to keep them happy and healthy for at least a year, I will SLOWLY, raise the pH and get them used to it.

Reactions: Hendre

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
You're right I know nothing about aquatic snakes, but if your determined to keep the ph low you should invest in a reverse osmosis system. Bulkreefsupply.com carries some nice ones. This will greatly increase your chances of keeping the ph low. Do you know your water parameters coming out of the faucet other than the ph? Probably a tds meter would be helpful as well.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I actually am using RO water. And I actually have a tds meter, came with my pH probe but honestly, I have no idea what a tds meter even does or what anything should be at

Figured out how to edit: also I was always told that a tds meter pointless for fw and is used mostly for sw. I'll research it more

Last edited:

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
Perhaps someone on this forum can post some links about the chemistry behind PH swings for the OP. There are others here that are far more knowledgeable than I am on this topic.

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
Oh one more thing to add I think it's amazing that you have aquatic snakes I've never run across a post like this before, some pics of them in the tank would be nice. Your r/o unit will go a long ways to achieving your goal of a lower ph, you're going to get there.

Reactions: Aw3s0m3
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store