Help with stocking tank?! What should I get?

Ak_fishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
I’m totally new to this forum. Fairly new to the hobby as well. Long story short I’m a stay at home dad and business owner and I was told by the wife to get a hobby.

I currently have a 5 gal nano tank with a Betta, Cory and some tetra and a 20 gal with some black moor goldfish. I know not monsters. I mainly wanted to put some tanks together for the kids and see how it goes.

Well onto the fun bit. I was given the nod by the boss to go bigger so I’m planning on picking up a 75 gallon tank and building my own stand/setup. So I’ll be posting on that when I start.

Basically I’m torn between what to get. I have a 500sqft office that I’m considering even larger tanks to go into. So starting at the 75 and growing with the fish I choose is an option. Also I live in Oregon.

What should I get???

I’ve considered Oscars, cichlids, piranha, gar, arrowana, cats, tiger fish...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’m totally new to this forum. Fairly new to the hobby as well. Long story short I’m a stay at home dad and business owner and I was told by the wife to get a hobby.

I currently have a 5 gal nano tank with a Betta, Cory and some tetra and a 20 gal with some black moor goldfish. I know not monsters. I mainly wanted to put some tanks together for the kids and see how it goes.

Well onto the fun bit. I was given the nod by the boss to go bigger so I’m planning on picking up a 75 gallon tank and building my own stand/setup. So I’ll be posting on that when I start.

Basically I’m torn between what to get. I have a 500sqft office that I’m considering even larger tanks to go into. So starting at the 75 and growing with the fish I choose is an option. Also I live in Oregon.

What should I get???

I’ve considered Oscars, cichlids, piranha, gar, arrowana, cats, tiger fish...
I’d suggest the Oscar and let it grow out. See how u deal with larger tanks and the maintenance since ur a business man. If that goes well then research and decide if bigger is the way to go.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
IMO, oscars get too large for a 75 gal, as would an Arowana.
But I'll stick to cichlids, because that's my focus.
With an oscar in a 75, as an adult cichlid you'd need to change 50% of its water every other dy, to keep it healthy.
There are over 2000 different species of cichlids from all corners of the tropical and sub-tropical globe, many get too large for a 75, many don't, so you need to narrow it down a bit when you say cichlids.
There are small to medium species from South America, especially if you have soft water.
If you have hard water many species from the Africa Rift Lakes would be perfect, and some are as colorful as any fish out there.

The smaller Central Americans from the genus Amatitlania would work in a 75, if you have medium to hard water.

Even 2 species from India that would work, genus Etroplus (maculatus or canarensis(below)).

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
How about upgrade your other fish first? Before getting new fish.

After the upgrade maybe look into getting a longear sunfish

Ak_fishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
I’d suggest the Oscar and let it grow out. See how u deal with larger tanks and the maintenance since ur a business man. If that goes well then research and decide if bigger is the way to go.
I’m home the majority of the time. Not to concerned about the time requirements for water changes etc. mainly the two tanks are for my kids. I’m planning a 75 this week to setup and let cycle. Mainly just to have a solid start. I have the space and finances to go bigger. Basically wanted to grow out in the 75 and plan for a 200+ in the closer future

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store