Help with ultima 2000 set up with sump...

Orthopod

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Seattle
I picked up an ultima 2000 to add to my 475 ray tank and was hoping to use a submersible pump from my sump to the ultima. I saw one thread where someone had done this with success. Is there anything I’m missing why this is a bad idea?

Second, an ultima 2000 is rated for max flow of 2500 gph and is this rating at a certain head height. I have beeen wondering which pump to pick up to pair with it. I was looking at one of the jaboa pumps that is rated at 3900 or so at 0 ft but quickly dies down once a head height is included(it’s also adjustable flow if too powerful). Any thoughts or help?

Apologize for the questions and appreciate any advice. Thanks

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Everyone I see running ultima's use reeflo pumps. When you go their website it tells you what you need. You need a pump that can push 2,000g at 10ft of head height. I believe folks us the reeflow super dart/snapper gold. The jebao is not going to cut it frankly. The reason you need a specific pump is because you need one that has the power to do the backflush.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I would disagree about the Jebao pumps not cutting it. The Jebao DCP 18000 pumps 18000L per hour, which is about 4750 gallons per hour at zero ft of head height. It also doesn’t lose flow as quickly with head height as some of the other DC pumps. I would certainly recommend one for this application, especially for the low wattage of the pump.

As for setting the ultima up with a pump coming from the sump, it makes sense if you only want the ultima for bio. If you take water from the sump then it will have already been filtered and you would then not be using it at all for mechanical filtration. However, that is one of the features of the ultima that makes it such a great filter. It catches a lot of debris that is then easily removed through backwashing the filter. I would recommend running it separate from the sump.

Orthopod

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Seattle
Thanks for the advice. What is the reason that external pumps are recommended for the ultima? Is it purely the power loss at increased head height? Thanks again.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks for the advice. What is the reason that external pumps are recommended for the ultima? Is it purely the power loss at increased head height? Thanks again.
External pumps are recommended because (for the most part) internal pumps typically do not do as well with head height or with pressure, additionally the manufacturer would need to spec how to set it up with internal pumps and most people could not sort that out. External is just recommended. Keep in mind the can itself has no pump. External is sort of implied and the common choice for pond guys (the target market) Having said that I have Ultimas running on both external and internal pumps. The problem is not the flow rate, its the inadequate flow rate to properly backwash. You need the juice to knock it loose... There are some tricks to help with this as well.

The internal pump I have running a 1000 model is a Laguna 2900. Great flow for filtration but a bit lacking in backwash. I have to wobble the can back and forth a bit to help it.

I use Reeflo Dart (4300 GPH) pumps with my Ultima 2000 models and love that combo. Excellent bio and excellent mechanical. A sweet spot for me personally.

Orthopod

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Seattle
External pumps are recommended because (for the most part) internal pumps typically do not do as well with head height or with pressure, additionally the manufacturer would need to spec how to set it up with internal pumps and most people could not sort that out. External is just recommended. Keep in mind the can itself has no pump. External is sort of implied and the common choice for pond guys (the target market) Having said that I have Ultimas running on both external and internal pumps. The problem is not the flow rate, its the inadequate flow rate to properly backwash. You need the juice to knock it loose... There are some tricks to help with this as well.

The internal pump I have running a 1000 model is a Laguna 2900. Great flow for filtration but a bit lacking in backwash. I have to wobble the can back and forth a bit to help it.

I use Reeflo Dart (4300 GPH) pumps with my Ultima 2000 models and love that combo. Excellent bio and excellent mechanical. A sweet spot for me personally.

I appreciate the advice. I was thinking of using a DCP- 18000 or dcp-20000 placing it inside my sump and connecting it to the ultima.

I have attached the head height graph. Looks like they produce between 1900 gph and 2300gph at 10 feet.

The one commentary that I heard on the ultima was that it worked better for tanks with some sort of prefilter. Let me know if im misinformed.

3EC6F21E-24F7-4770-A28F-213529C4E378.png

Last edited:

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I appreciate the advice. I was thinking of using a DCP- 18000 or dcp-20000 placing it inside my sump and connecting it to the ultima.

I have attached the head height graph. Looks like they produce between 1900 gph and 2300gph at 10 feet.

The one commentary that I heard on the ultima was that it worked better for tanks with some sort of prefilter. Let me know if im misinformed.

View attachment 1293268
I don’t have experience with those pumps so I can’t say for sure. The GPH looks good though. I have no pre filter on any of my setups. Intake screens over the bulkhead yes but no pre filter. If setup properly there is no need.

My only word of caution is running a pump from a sump will make it a bio only filter. Second issue is access to enough water to backwash. 200 gallons in my experience is needed for a 2000 with a ray bioload.

Reactions: cigars

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
I don’t have experience with those pumps so I can’t say for sure. The GPH looks good though. I have no pre filter on any of my setups. Intake screens over the bulkhead yes but no pre filter. If setup properly there is no need.

My only word of caution is running a pump from a sump will make it a bio only filter. Second issue is access to enough water to backwash. 200 gallons in my experience is needed for a 2000 with a ray bioload.
Would it take less gallons to backwashed if you attach a blower to the set up?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Would it take less gallons to backwashed if you attach a blower to the set up?
Only on the smaller units IME. The larger have equally large pumps that have enough power to backwash. The smaller units need a bit of boost from something like a blower.

I run air line from a small air pump up the intake pipe when backwashing which serves the basic function of a blower, but regardless is still less effective.

I'll get a thread up within the next 60 days of a new backwash design which does not impact the tank volume at all. One additional valve and the display never even knew the filter was backwashed. It's still in a beta test mode at my place but I think it will be permanent if it continues to perform.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store