Help with what to breed with blood parrots and what to do with too much aggression.

Jon Wang

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2015
Walnut, CA 91789
My cichlid has been dropping eggs almost every month. It's happened 5 times already this year and just started again last week. I am wondering what type of cichlid I should go get and I should pair it with to breed.
IMG_20181115_193917832.jpgIMG_20181115_193938442.jpg
The male on the right is sterile for sure nothing has happened over 2 years of eggs coming out. So far the big guy on the very right has been pairing with the female on the bottom. My problem is territory issue and the male is very aggressive when it's trying to breed with the female and I can barely get the other fish to eat.
The male isn't that aggressive when it's not trying to breed or mate. All my other cichlids and my poor pleco can't go anywhere without being bit by the large one. The large on on right is 5" and so far killed 2 other parrots so I'm thinking of moving him to another tank possibly a 20 or 30 gallon. So now I have 8 parrots and 1 pleco.

IMG_20181115_194742775.jpg
So my question is what can I breed with blood parrots or with the female. There is almost 100 eggs in that box since she just kept dropping and then eating it for 2 years. Also wondering if I should separate the aggressive male. Yes I have 5 other parrots and a pleco squished on top of that box. 1 inside the flower pot cave and the rest outside trying to stay on safe grounds from the male. Sorry for the bad color, camera sucks on shooting on bright light. They are red orange colored. The female is pinkish pale since it has layed eggs. Tank is 55/60 gallon (I'm not sure) 48"L x 15"W x 18"H.

IMG_20181115_193908240.jpg IMG_20181115_193951238.jpg

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I am more concerned about your fish. 100% move the male to atleast a 30 if that is all you got. Those other fish look miserable. And why do you have the female in a tiny box. Is she able to get out of the box if she wants?

Jon Wang

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2015
Walnut, CA 91789
I am more concerned about your fish. 100% move the male to atleast a 30 if that is all you got. Those other fish look miserable. And why do you have the female in a tiny box. Is she able to get out of the box if she wants?
Yeah those 2 run freely around the tank while all the other are squished on the top left trying to stay away from terror x.x.
It's very hard to find stuff for the fish to hide in or divide the tank. I found a 14" x 16" acrylic sheet on Amazon. Gonna drill tiny holes, use that, and some suction cups to divide tank see if the male won't knock it down. The male is very strong and bites.
A few times I tried moving stuff around such at the terra cotta pot and the male just comes and bites my fingers and wriggles trying to tear it. I get little cuts that start bleeding a little.

Last edited:

Jon Wang

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2015
Walnut, CA 91789
Yeah those 2 run freely around the tank while all the other are squished on the top left trying to stay away from terror x.x.
It's very hard to find stuff for the fish to hide in or divide the tank. I found a 14" x 16" acrylic sheet on Amazon. Gonna drill tiny holes, use that, and some suction cups to divide tank see if the male won't knock it down. The male is very strong and bites.
A few times I tried moving stuff around such at the terra cotta pot and the male just comes and bites my fingers and wriggles trying to tear it. I get little cuts that start bleeding a little.
What I mean is she can get out of the box and so can the male go in and out. The box doesn't cover the whole width of the tank. The box is 11" while the tank width is 15" or 14.7 that is minus the acrylic width so there is at least a 3-4 inch space opening.

Last edited:

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Yeah I’m aware I also have a big mean male blood parrot. But I don’t think that tank is big enough for all those fish. You should 100% move the male into atleast a 30 gallon so you can give the others a better life.

Jon Wang

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2015
Walnut, CA 91789
Yeah I’m aware I also have a big mean male blood parrot. But I don’t think that tank is big enough for all those fish. You should 100% move the male into atleast a 30 gallon so you can give the others a better life.
Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Either move the male out or move the pair into another tank. Any ideas on breeding though? Those 2 have tried breeding countless times over the past 2 years and nothing is happening to the eggs.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I have very rarely seen a male bp that is sterile. As long as the male is not beating on the female you could move them together but you would need atleast a 40 breeder

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store