Help !!!

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Are you 100% sure you have a pair. If you have a pair the male should be a lot bigger. We have 2 Melnuras both females but they spawn together and eventually the eggs all turn white. Let these 2 spawn again maybe next time they will hatch if a pair.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
At times the eggs hatch with 24 hours, and the parents hide the fry, you probably will not see the fry for a few days. During this time the egg shell the fry have hatched from, will turn white and fungus over. At this point the fry are wrigglers and are feeding from a yolk sac, so you do not need to feed, they can be in this wriggler stage for few days.
Once they are free swimming,(this is the next time you see them) they will need to feed.
Newly hatched artemia (brine shrimp) are a good first food, as is any algae in the tank.
Don't rummage around in the tank looking for fry, this will scare the parents into eating the fry.
here are some wrigglers, they are almost transparent, very hard to see.

below newly free swimming fry

at the free swimming stage it is best to give them many small meals per day.
You can pulverize pellets, flake, or thawed peas and shoot them into the school of free swimmers with a turkey baster or pipet to get food to them.

I usually mix pulverized for with a little tank
I start hatching artemia about a day after I notice the eggs have hatched

Larryfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2016
Are you 100% sure you have a pair. If you have a pair the male should be a lot bigger. We have 2 Melnuras both females but they spawn together and eventually the eggs all turn white. Let these 2 spawn again maybe next time they will hatch if a pair.
Well I actually bought them as a proven breeding pair. So they have bred in the past. I think the female might have laid the eggs to far away from the eggcrate. And the male couldn't fertilize them. Thank everybody for all of the help.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you have the tank divided, it is a good idea to put a flat stone right next to the divider on the females side. And if possible have the water current in the tank run from males side over to the females side.
I always drill my tanks so the overflow to the sump is on one end, and water is pumped in on the other end.
If it was a mated (compatible) pair, just curious why they were divided?

above, female putting down eggs on the right side of the divider, below male fertilizing on the left.

Larryfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2016
Sorry. I had them divided because the aggression level of the male is through the roof when they aren't breeding. And the male will probably kill her. But. I think I'm going to take it out. For this next try

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
get some methylene blue

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store