Help!!

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
The store is probably really slow because people don’t appreciate the cruelty to animals and mistreatment. Wow this guy tortured a big fish for 40 years, let’s all go get one. It’s ok just give it more goldfish.

My grandfather smoked cigarettes and only ate really fatty, deep fried foods for almost 80 years. Guess he must have gotten it right since he’s not dead yet.
And I had a neighbour who do not smoke, eat well, exercise frequently but collapsed and passed away drinking cold plain water after a run..... he was 18

Sometimes it's really hard to differentiate what is right or wrong I guess

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
You should probably go for something closer to 72"x36"x24" or around 300 gallons as 200 gallons will be a bit of a tight fit as they can hit 24 inches. But it's great that you will be able to keep him for a lot longer, possibly life if he stays within the 12-18 inch range.
Actually they can hit 24” in a year. Mine was 16-18” within 6 months.

I agree with Backfromthedead Backfromthedead about what is said. I also love pacus they may never leave my #1 spot as my favourite all time fish since I was a kid. With no disrespect, it’s one thing to be unknowingly mistreating an animal but it is another to continue doing so once knowing the reality and truth of the matter.

Here is my story

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Just to clarify, I am not being negative nor am I trying to dissuade you from upgrading your set up. Just sharing the reality of it for a true perspective rather than chase a myth.

I hope you are able to find or even make a good home for your friend. I share with you the feeling of pacu love so I get it. Please let us know how it goes.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
While I agree with the realistic warnings above, I must note (1) we learn best from the personal experience and (2) pacu expected lifetime is a lo--o-ong time and things will surely change in the OP's life circumstances, for the better or worse many times over such time.

No matter the current situation, it is prudent to keep in view that a properly kept average pacu can be expected to reach 2.5'-3' long and 1.5'-2' tall and 35-55 lbs.

IMHO, that pacu kept for 40 years in a 75 gal and fed goldfish is a well known example and a poster child for fish abuse and fish resilience and ability to survive. We have far, far more striking examples of fish surviving unthinkable conditions.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Agreeing with everyone else, got wrong information about how big they grow. Simply put, seeing as it gets to 3-3.5 feet, you should probably go for an indoor pond of the 4,000+ gallon range, with it being 3 feet the tank/pond should be around 15 feet long by 6 feet wide by 4+ feet deep, of course the larger you can go, the better.

And I had a neighbour who do not smoke, eat well, exercise frequently but collapsed and passed away drinking cold plain water after a run..... he was 18

Sometimes it's really hard to differentiate what is right or wrong I guess
A guy from my kickboxing gym who ran 10 miles a day, did intense weight lifting, and fought monthly died at the age of 32 from a brain aneurysm, but my great uncle just died at the age of 94 and he smoked two packs a day, drank whiskey daily to the point where he was drunk, and ate like a mad man, he was 6'2" and 280 pounds. It's all subjective, there's always going to be outliers in these situations.

Reactions: Matteus

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
A guy from my kickboxing gym who ran 10 miles a day, did intense weight lifting, and fought monthly died at the age of 32 from a brain aneurysm, but my great uncle just died at the age of 94 and he smoked two packs a day, drank whiskey daily to the point where he was drunk, and ate like a mad man, he was 6'2" and 280 pounds. It's all subjective, there's always going to be outliers in these situations.
The brain aneurysm could have been caused by the monthly fights

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store