Hemibagrus wyckii tank size?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Rarely would they reach over 2'-2.5' TL http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=94 but I've read of 3'-ers (TL) raised in captivity. So, shooting for a semi-worse case of 2.5', I'd say a minimum footprint would need to be 10'x5'. If it stops growing at 2', then 8'x4', at 2' depth that would amount to ~500 US gal. I understand that appears as a huge waste for just one fish but you won't be able to put anything else in there with it in such a small tank/pond. One would need 10 times more room to even try.

Just my opinion, is all :)

http://injaf.org/articles-guides/understanding-fish-stocking-guides/

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I have seen one of these guys at a local lfs that was def over 24"... he was stunning. iir tha tank was 600gals and also housed a gator gar, one of the biggest silver arrowana i've ever seen, and a full grown GG ( again in a lfs.. so probablly not long-term ideal)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good to see that sometimes, for some time it is possible. I think this is a rather rare case though. What's a GG? Giant gourami?

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
This is one of the many species that honestly isnt suited for aquarium life. They need to be housed alone due to their aggressive nature. As said above this species requires the largest foot print possible, even though they arent the most active unless food is involved. If I were you id pass on this, and consider a more community friendly catfish such as an Achara cat or something similar.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Yea I really like them but if their not ver active and need a tank that big it does seem like a wast seeing as they have to be alone :( I will have to think about it for a bit longer, thanks for your help, I appreciate it :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IDK how active adults are in the day time. Can someone tell us if they know? I am talking about >2' wyckiis in aquaria, not smaller ones and not in ponds.

I have no high hopes that such info abounds or even available on MFK but maybe we'll all be surprised. I imagine such beasts are quite rare, in fact I think I have never seen a photo of a 2.5'-3'-er.

But at the moment, I like Slippery K's suggestion as Leiarius are one of the best cats to keep IMO, especially the pictus - active all day IME, outgoing, fearless, interactive, beautiful.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
IDK how active adults are in the day time. Can someone tell us if they know? I am talking about >2' wyckiis in aquaria, not smaller ones and not in ponds.

I have no high hopes that such info abounds or even available on MFK but maybe we'll all be surprised. I imagine such beasts are quite rare, in fact I think I have never seen a photo of a 2.5'-3'-er.

But at the moment, I like Slippery K's suggestion as Leiarius are one of the best cats to keep IMO, especially the pictus - active all day IME, outgoing, fearless, interactive, beautiful.
Stick with the Achara, beautiful cat and has basicly the same body shape as the Black Devil and can reach 2'+ (although in aquaria, 18" is more likely). Both the Black Devil cats iv seen were lazy and didnt move at all, granted I was at the lfs around 12 noon aswell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store