Hemichromis exsul

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I personally had a turquoise jewel and a Hemichromis Bimaculatus pair that sadly never produced anything but eggs. Their main problem was the convict cichlids I had with em constantly bullying them. My female was a bit weird in the fact the she would only breed with males half her size. Always heard that the female would only breed with a male that was larger then herself. The Hemichromis Bimaculatus was the female btw.

Reactions: Niki_up

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I posted a thread of this rift lake jewel. I am lucky to get a pair out of 4 and they are breeding at size of only 1.5 inch. I’m raising a batch and hope to introduce a bunch to colonize my planted tank.

Im not impressed by common riverine jewel fish that tend to drab out if they are not happy. The Turkana Jewel is unusual in that the color is as stable as Mbuna.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Man their gorgeous! That smooth red body color with the blue fins ?
I've seen them much redder. It could be the light sand washing them out, or it could be my water quality. This species of Hemichromis is not a riverine fish from West Africa like the others; it's a Rift Lake species from a brackish lake with a high pH. My pH is only about 7.8 with moderate hardness. I read the pH of Lake Turkana where they come from is somewhere around 8.5 to 9. I'm thinking their color may be more intense if I raise the pH and salt levels a bit. Right now I'm not messing with water chemistry too much because of the fry.

• Love
Reactions: Niki_up

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I raised my Turkana at pH 7.5 and gH 5, so my water is only mildly alkaline. The fry are doing well with no die off for weeks, so Turkana is adaptive and no need to have liquid rock water to thrive. I think they originate from riverine species too but how they got into Lake Turkana was a mystery as I am not aware of any riverine Hemichromis exist in East Africa, or perhaps they exist but cant compete with mouth brooding Haplochormine in great African rift lakes. I paid $20 a fish but they are so easy to breed that I think price will drop soon when more are available.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
These are now 30 days free-swimming and right around 1” long. They’re weaned off BBS and eating Bug Bites granules.

They have developed tiny, iridescent blueish-white spangles all over the body. I initially freaked out because it looked like ich. The video doesn’t pick it up unfortunately.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
These are now 30 days free-swimming and right around 1” long. They’re weaned off BBS and eating Bug Bites granules.

They have developed tiny, iridescent blueish-white spangles all over the body. I initially freaked out because it looked like ich. The video doesn’t pick it up unfortunately.

Congrats! That's awesome. First Batch?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store