Here we go again . . .

uapkrn1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
Illinois
Hey folks. I've got my 200g back up and running (after the Black Plague wiped it out last month) and am ready to start the cycle. This will be a freshwater community tank with mainly CA/SA fish.

I've got two existing tanks that I can get media from, along with a bottle of Cycle. Any recommendations on how much bio-load I should kick-off with? Last time I had two good-sized fish (7" severum and leporinus) that did a good job, but I currently don't have anything very large except a pleco.

Any advice from this learned forum is most welcome. Thanks.

krn

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I would go the fishless cycle route. A few pieces of shrimp, and a few bags of bio-spira. You should be up and running within a week.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

If you have biomedia from two tanks, simply get half the biomedia from each (they will be fine) and fill up your biofiltration in the new tank with these batches. That takes care of your filter :thumbsup: The only section of biofiltration left is the substrate. If you use some water from the other two tanks, you could actually pour the Cycle into the substrate. I suggest to use old water since Cycle doesn't like fresh, chlorinated water. If you ask me, you can add some (any) fish the next day already. Of course, you should test your water for nitrites and ammonia.

Looks to me like you may have a cycled tank in a few days...:headbang2

HarleyK

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
I agree with HarleyK.
You should be in good shape if you follow his method. If you can get some composted cow or sheep poop, feed your new filters a little (thimble full ) of that. More bugs than a Panama swamp, and enough food for your filter while your water chemistry and fish population stabalize.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store