Heteropneustes fossilis?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I tried to find information about them but couldn't find much about them even on here. Nor their legality. Does anyone have any knowledge about them and their legality? Saw some for sale a while back and have been wanting to find out more about them.

Reactions: Iamfish

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Legality would depend on where. I know in the UK they are not illegal.
They can live in cooler water - down to around 69 degrees so I would not be surprised to hear that they were illegal in some countries due to their readiness to also breed, ie. There are known accounts listed on planetcatfish. They are straight forward to keep needing very little in the way of special requirements. Easy to feed, take most prepared food. No special water requirements, like their own kind so can even be kept in groups. Just don't keep with anything too small to be are or anything skittish at night as that's when they are mainly active although in the right setup they will be out and about during the day. Obvious one is, don't get stung, so keep your hands out of their tank!!!!

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
H. Fossilis also known as stinging catfish.
These fish are very hardy and adaptable, they are found in paddy fields, irrigation canals, muddly puddles, as well as clear rocky streams. All over the place.

Predatory in nature, are quite shy, will hide most of the time. Not a very active species.

They get their name stinging catfish, as they use their pectoral fins to stab if caught, and can inject venom that causes immense pain.

Have been stung once during a collection trip for native fish.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Thank you both, I'll be looking even more into them now.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store