Hey Oddball, “rubber eel” question

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I just find it extremely sad that ppl may still be keeping them in a way they can’t come onto land, I see videos and images of them still being kept in aquariums
There isn't alot of info out on them. That goes for other fish we keep also. We just say things like keep a tight top on they are jumpers, or escape artists. In reality if we just learned a little more about their actual wild behaviors and provide accordingly we may not need to see horrible dead dried up fish on the floor in the morning.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
There isn't alot of info out on them. That goes for other fish we keep also. We just say things like keep a tight top on they are jumpers, or escape artists. In reality if we just learned a little more about their actual wild behaviors and provide accordingly we may not need to see horrible dead dried up fish on the floor in the morning.
but geez I know they have been in the trade at least since I was a kid and Im 45, So interested in these things now, pry cuz Im a snake guy too.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Ahh it’s so nice to meet someone who knows of them, I am interested in acquiring a group of them for breeding purposes in the future when I have the means to do so. Know anyone who has kept one?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Ahh it’s so nice to meet someone who knows of them, I am interested in acquiring a group of them for breeding purposes in the future when I have the means to do so. Know anyone who has kept one?
Ever thought of breeding some of these guys? Erpeton tentaculatum. I think these snakes are pretty neat. A lil boring to whatch, except for how they feed, but still a very neat snake none the less. I kind of like how they can live in fresh, brackish or salt water, that and how well camouflaged they are on a piece of drift wood. Ik I hope to get one someday.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Ahh tentacle snakes, I remember they hold themselves in a “j” position for hunting if I remember correctly. I have considered keeping them but breeding them has not yet become an idea.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
but geez I know they have been in the trade at least since I was a kid and Im 45, So interested in these things now, pry cuz Im a snake guy too.
The problem with oddballs is just that they are oddballs. Alot of people don't want them and don't understand them and info isn't generated for them. I'm your age also I believe tlindsey tlindsey is right there with us. I recently talked to a shop about them. It was funny because it was the shop I got them from so many years ago. The shop keeper and I started talking about them because I was buying a ropefish from him to add to the pack. He said I love the oddballs and miss being able to get this one and that one but I don't miss the cacelians those things got out and died more then we sold. The way the shop is set up some of the top tanks are right near the ceiling and apparently they would somehow get up in the ceiling tiles. I told him two of them lived for about 5 years with me back in the day. He was shocked. It was a good conversation and he was happy to see that I had been buying stuff from him for so long. I don't shop there often for many reasons, the main one being he hasn't changed and neither has his store in all these years. Still keeping things incorrectly and giving out information that is incorrect. Nice guy though.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Ahh tentacle snakes, I remember they hold themselves in a “j” position for hunting if I remember correctly. I have considered keeping them but breeding them has not yet become an idea.
Kind of right with the "j" position. Normally they mimic a stick or branch but when food is within reach they will strike in a "j" shape. Scientists found out that they precalculate where the prey will be when fleeing and strike there instead of directly at the fish. But yeah a "j" shape is pretty well spot on for how it looks when striking, they use their own body to help corral the fish towards its Jaws thus giving it a hook or "j" shaped appearance.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I am not a fan of snakes in general but those tentacle snakes get me excited and the fact that they predict where the fish will dart to then strike there is part of what makes me so excited for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store