Hiding polypterus

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Hi all, yesterday I had an unfortunate death in the tank, my electric blue jack dempsey died. In order to remove it, there was a large log that I had to mess with in order to get the dead fish out of the tank. This log also happened to be where my ornate bichir hides often. I worry that I did something to it horrible when placing the log back in. I haven't seen it since I lifted up the log, and it has not eaten from what I can tell. I worry I crushed it, or something, even though that isn't likely. Perhaps it's just stressed from its log being messed with. I'm not sure.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all, yesterday I had an unfortunate death in the tank, my electric blue jack dempsey died. In order to remove it, there was a large log that I had to mess with in order to get the dead fish out of the tank. This log also happened to be where my ornate bichir hides often. I worry that I did something to it horrible when placing the log back in. I haven't seen it since I lifted up the log, and it has not eaten from what I can tell. I worry I crushed it, or something, even though that isn't likely. Perhaps it's just stressed from its log being messed with. I'm not sure.
Did you check inside the log? I suggest checking around the aquarium also bichir are known to jump out escape.

Reactions: kno4te

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Did you check inside the log? I suggest checking around the aquarium also bichir are known to jump out escape.
I did notice, that he likes to hide inside the small crevices in the log, i'd say its likely he's hiding in one of those currently. I still am worried that he hasnt eaten though. And yes, I will check to make sure he hasnt jumped.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I did notice, that he likes to hide inside the small crevices in the log, i'd say its likely he's hiding in one of those currently. I still am worried that he hasnt eaten though. And yes, I will check to make sure he hasnt jumped.
Sometimes after a death of a fish the parameters change causes fish to not eat. Test your water parameters.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
It’s probably hiding if you have not seen it. Trust you will see it pop out again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store