High Back Golden Arowana And White Tank Treatment(WTT)

Nithin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
India
So finally i got my own asian arowana and it a high back golden arowana its around 6".I will be receiving it on monday,Will post pics when it settles.
Now WTT,so many questions
1)Should the bottom of the tank have white sand or it can be bare?
2)Can I use a regular CFl lamps or T5 lights or there is a special light for it.
3)How many hours a day must the light be switched on?
4) a) If it is in a white tank then later shifted to a black tank after color stabilization.
b) If it was in a black tank throughout
Now if a) was not done will i have missed out on something?
5)Is it really necessary and it is a waste of time and resources?I am a hobbiest not a farm owner or a shop owner.Im not so particular about shine level developing fast
i can wait,whatever happens it wont be an XB maybe Super high back if im lucky, i more interested in the depth of gold colour on the fish.
The only problem is i dont like the blueish purple colour on gold arowana's if put in a black tank.

Disadvantages: (source http://www.indodragon.com/forum/showthread.php?6559-White-Tank-Treament-is-it-real)
1. Remain for temporay. Intensity drop (1 - 2 weeks)
2. Strong white tolerance will cause damage to pupil
3. Contibute to DE (Drop eye).
4. Golden pale/ Pale blue appearance, weak on rim scales performance.
IS it worth it to practise WTT and face the above disadvantages(risks)

Thanks In advance,
Nithin

Nithin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
India
Can i get this moved to the main arowana forum and not the media lounge

Koji

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
So finally i got my own asian arowana and it a high back golden arowana its around 6".I will be receiving it on monday,Will post pics when it settles.
Now WTT,so many questions
1)Should the bottom of the tank have white sand or it can be bare?
2)Can I use a regular CFl lamps or T5 lights or there is a special light for it.
3)How many hours a day must the light be switched on?
4) a) If it is in a white tank then later shifted to a black tank after color stabilization.
b) If it was in a black tank throughout
Now if a) was not done will i have missed out on something?
5)Is it really necessary and it is a waste of time and resources?I am a hobbiest not a farm owner or a shop owner.Im not so particular about shine level developing fast
i can wait,whatever happens it wont be an XB maybe Super high back if im lucky, i more interested in the depth of gold colour on the fish.
The only problem is i dont like the blueish purple colour on gold arowana's if put in a black tank.

Disadvantages: (source http://www.indodragon.com/forum/showthread.php?6559-White-Tank-Treament-is-it-real)
1. Remain for temporay. Intensity drop (1 - 2 weeks)
2. Strong white tolerance will cause damage to pupil
3. Contibute to DE (Drop eye).
4. Golden pale/ Pale blue appearance, weak on rim scales performance.
IS it worth it to practise WTT and face the above disadvantages(risks)

Thanks In advance,
Nithin
Hi, I try to share my point of view on WTT as much as possible.:)

WTT can be achieve as long the whole tank is white including the base. Light can be anything as long it can keep the tank look clean and white. No need to use super strong light. And also most importantly the water must be clear at all time during this process. Light can be left on 24/7 if it's not a strong light. I will suggest using FL (T8) instead of other stronger light sets.

WTT is just a man made enviroment meant for fish which have potential to develop higher shine. If the fish got no potential to develop higher shine, then it's no point of keeping the fish in WTT.

I have kept RTG in black tank with lights 24/7 since day one and till date they are 3 years plus and they developed 5th row shine. Some even got abit of pearlies and edge of the 6th row shine. Never WTT since day one.

All juvenile fish or growing up mid size fish will have some form of bluish or purplish core on them. Reason been is that they are not mature yet to develop their full potential colour. Even a full gold arowana will have to go through this growing up process.

If one is worry about their fish (RTG/HBRTG) becoming too dark on their top, you can always have the tank 3 sides been black and the base of the tank keep it white. This kinda tank setting is very good for golden arowana.

Nithin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
India
Hi, I try to share my point of view on WTT as much as possible.:)

WTT can be achieve as long the whole tank is white including the base. Light can be anything as long it can keep the tank look clean and white. No need to use super strong light. And also most importantly the water must be clear at all time during this process. Light can be left on 24/7 if it's not a strong light. I will suggest using FL (T8) instead of other stronger light sets.

WTT is just a man made enviroment meant for fish which have potential to develop higher shine. If the fish got no potential to develop higher shine, then it's no point of keeping the fish in WTT.

I have kept RTG in black tank with lights 24/7 since day one and till date they are 3 years plus and they developed 5th row shine. Some even got abit of pearlies and edge of the 6th row shine. Never WTT since day one.

All juvenile fish or growing up mid size fish will have some form of bluish or purplish core on them. Reason been is that they are not mature yet to develop their full potential colour. Even a full gold arowana will have to go through this growing up process.

If one is worry about their fish (RTG/HBRTG) becoming too dark on their top, you can always have the tank 3 sides been black and the base of the tank keep it white. This kinda tank setting is very good for golden arowana.
Thank you Koji for your help,No else answered my questions.

Duma

Feeder Fish
Mar 28, 2020
Hi
I have a 6years old super HB , is there any chance in this age to develop shine level ?! I changed back ground from black to white and i think some pearls of in 5th level are changing to be gold .. wtt can be effective in large aros?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store