High Back Golden Arowana baby... or is it ?

Magic Water

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
Water
Just got home with my very first Asian Arowana! Super excited ! Been waiting for so long ... finally :cool: pics taken just a couple of minutes after I opened the bag after 30 mins of floating the bag.

Super excited to share the very first pics of my first Asian Arowana :) He looks super hungry and is jumping all over tank, chasing air bubbles thinking it’s food :p When can I feed him, the LFS suggested I wait for threee days !!? :mad::eek: He also suggested I could keep him in a 70G for life, so I don’t know if I should take the 3 day fasting seriously either :eek:
I was told he is a HB and I can see the gold slightly reaching a 5 scale line when the light shines, what do you think ? :rolleyes:

D6152429-4879-427E-A172-242B9901FC2E.jpeg

B21FF9F0-88F1-460C-AADD-58DCE80597F5.jpeg

Reactions: Bonytang and MariaS

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
It will outgrow a 70g the first year. Don’t know who would have given you that info. Feed it right away no reason to starve it unless you plan on transporting it again

Magic Water

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
Water
I absolutely won’t let the fish live in the 70G come New Year, already got a sweet deal on a 240G, untill then I feel he is too small for a 240G right now. He is 6 inches long now.
It will outgrow a 70g the first year. Don’t know who would have given you that info. Feed it right away no reason to starve it unless you plan on transporting it again

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Beautiful fish. I agree, if the fish will eat there is no good reason to wait. If he doesn't eat he may need some time to adjust to his surroundings. 6" is fine in a 70g for now, as long as you upgrade him down the line. Sounds like you have the right idea with the 240.
best of luck

Reactions: Magic Water

Magic Water

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
Water
Beautiful fish. I agree, if the fish will eat there is no good reason to wait. If he doesn't eat he may need some time to adjust to his surroundings. 6" is fine in a 70g for now, as long as you upgrade him down the line. Sounds like you have the right idea with the 240.
best of luck
Hi, thank you :) I have big plans for this little guy, without a huge tank he will be boring to watch. So yeah, plan A is bigger tank :)

Magic Water

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
Water
I remember few years ago MFK was such an active site and so many people would respond. But these days I find it hard to get even a couple of responses :( Anyway, let me post a tiny video of me feeding my little one :) pls do comment.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Very nice Arowana, congratulations!

If i may ask... why to you tease her and shake the food and your hand from one side of the tank to the other like that?

Reactions: Magic Water

Magic Water

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
Water
Very nice Arowana, congratulations!

If i may ask... why to you tease her and shake the food and your hand from one side of the tank to the other like that?
Hi thank you :)
To answer your question I tease the baby a bit before feeding the first feed of the day, in order to get the baby to recognise the hand as the giver of food, to get the Arowana to trust the hand, also most importantly to trigger the hunting instinct within the fish as he feels he is about to pounce on the dangling food. He becomes very active like a cichlid when he sees my hand after I trained him this way. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store