HITCHHIKING POND SNAILS IN MY PLANTED TANKS!!!

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I recently got some new plants for my tanks, and they had some hitchhikers.
Now my platy tank is flooded with pond snails, and my guppy tank has some too.
platy tank has small brown round ones, and the guppy tank has slightly bigger ones with white feet.
you know what i mean when i say feet on snails.
but anyway i thought "oh i should take some and put them in the betta tank" because that tank is flooded with algae and we can barely see the blue halfmoon betta.
what i forgot was snails nuking the tank with ammonia when they die.
i know this applies to nerite snails-
-snail dies
-snail decomposes quickly
-snail produces large amounts of ammonia
does this apply to the tiny pond snails?
did i make a mistake throwing them in my betta tank?
can the betta eat them?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
This dead snail = tank crash thing applies to pond snails as well, but they are not quite as bad, as they are smaller. You cannot put any copper based medicine anymore.
The betta can probably eat snail eggs and the teeniest babies, but no others. I have heard of bettas that attack and kill snails, sometimes even eating them, but most of them ignore snails.
As far as I know the only options for reducing your snail population are removing them by hand (putting veggies on a plate overnight will get them to congregate there helps), which takes forever, or assassin snails (Clea helena), which replace many pond snails with a few pond snails, and a few assassin snails.
I don't think it's a mistake, as the snails are gentle tankmates, usually don't eat plants, and eat up any extra food, and if you're lucky, eat algae to boot.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I always try and have a few snails in any tank,I find that they r interesting and helpful additions to most tanks (especially planted)

Reactions: celebrist

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Simply reduce how much you feed. Snails only thrive when waste food accumulates in your tank. They are the natural clean up crew, and we ought to be thankful for the service they provide.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I have been doing a good job of collecting the snails out of my platy tank.
I have just been putting them in an old sauce jar with some moss in it, and they seem to be happy with that.
I even saw them trying to breed in there...
so far I don't know how many snails are in the platy tank still, but I got 3/5 of the snails out of the betta tank, and I don't know how many are left in the guppy tank. The ones in the guppy tank seem to be more rare.
The snails in each tank seem to be different...
the ones from the platy tank are small, less than a quarter of an inch, with brown transparent shells with either stripes or spots, or both. the body/foot of the snail is grey, and they have stringy antennae.
the ones from the guppy tank are larger than the others, about a quarter of an inch, with round brown shells that have long points at the ends. the body/foot is a light grey and they have short, conical antennae.
the ones from the platy tank prefer to hang out on plants and the ones from the guppy tank like to hang out on the glass.
I have caught 7 snails for my jar, and I know there are 2 in the betta tank so that's 9.
I have caught 7 from the platy tank and 2 from the guppy tank only.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
well now there's ramshorn snails ;-;
i've been constantly taking snails and egg clusters from my platy tank and putting em in my jar.
guppy tank so far has only hat the two bigger white bellied ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store