Hitchhiking snail a pest?

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Found a bunch of these that must have came on one of the plants I put in there anyway, I know most like these are pests, but I haven't seen any damage yet so I was curious if they were. I'm planning on getting some assassin snailsScreenshot_20190827-101316.png, because I don't want them taking over

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Those are pond snails or bladder snails, they don’t eat plants in my personal experience and they don’t breed as fast as mts. If you want to eradicate them then it shouldn’t be hard. You can go with the assassin snail route or you can get a piece of lettuce and spear it with a fork into the tank over night. When you wake up it should be covered in them and you can dispose of them.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Those are pond snails or bladder snails, they don’t eat plants in my personal experience and they don’t breed as fast as mts. If you want to eradicate them then it shouldn’t be hard. You can go with the assassin snail route or you can get a piece of lettuce and spear it with a fork into the tank over night. When you wake up it should be covered in them and you can dispose of them.
Oh really? Awesome thanks

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
If you decide to get fish to eat the snails, avoid pea puffers. They are hard to feed when the snails are gone. Any Botia Loach will do. My favourite is the chain loach, stays small.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
If you decide to get fish to eat the snails, avoid pea puffers. They are hard to feed when the snails are gone. Any Botia Loach will do. My favourite is the chain loach, stays small.
Pea puffers arent that hard to feed, they eat frozen bloodworms and snails...

Honestly though, i would never recommend a fish to help take care of a snail problem unless you actually wanted to keep said fish to begin with...

Assassin snails are okay, otherwise just cut back feeding and you should be able to keep the snail population under control and over time possibly eradicate most of them...

If worse comes to worse, there are also various snail traps available online which you place some food inside a special container, then snails will start crawling in and wont really be able to get out due to its design...

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Pea puffers arent that hard to feed, they eat frozen bloodworms and snails...

Honestly though, i would never recommend a fish to help take care of a snail problem unless you actually wanted to keep said fish to begin with...

Assassin snails are okay, otherwise just cut back feeding and you should be able to keep the snail population under control and over time possibly eradicate most of them...

If worse comes to worse, there are also various snail traps available online which you place some food inside a special container, then snails will start crawling in and wont really be able to get out due to its design...
Thanks I will probably just try to do the lettuce method that was suggested above. I really don't mind snails too much as long as they don't take over or destroy anyplants or anything.
Seems more natural. Besides anything that would kill the snails would most likely kill my shrimp

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thanks I will probably just try to do the lettuce method that was suggested above. I really don't mind snails too much as long as they don't take over or destroy anyplants or anything.
Seems more natural. Besides anything that would kill the snails would most likely kill my shrimp
If its a shrimp tank then i agree, all the more reason to be careful what you put in to deal with the snails...

The lettuce trick with a fork would be the cheapest method if population isnt too bad, but if it starts getting out of control, cut back on feedings and maybe consider a snail trap if it keeps getting worse...

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Even if the population is huge you could keep at it until they’re all gone. Or you could go with the most hands on method and squish them when you see them.

Reactions: bobblehead27
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store