HITH/fungus - adult red Sev - Para Guard/water changes

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
My Sev started getting a white fuzzy patch, and within two days formed a crater - he didn't even wait for my meds to come in!
I went with ParaGuard after my research.

Unfortunately the instructions are worthless.
Took out the carbon, turned off 13w sterilizer (just upgraded from a 9). 1 cap per 10g. The water looks a tinge cloudy, but I don't expect medicated water to be clear (it's been ages since I have had anything but ich in my tanks).

What is the deal with water changes? I have read so many differences in approach.
Assuming all chemical/UV cleaners are out of the tank - how often do I clean the tank/remedicate?

I have read some people do 50% daily with meds. I'm fine with doing daily changes.
Yesterday I did a 50% before the meds, and kept the sterilizer running for an hour longer. Then I medicated.

Now I am in the next day...what % should I change, then remedicate?

I appreciate other input, but Para Guard is what I chose, and I'd like to stick with it.

Nick

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I can't help you with ParaGard, I have no experiance using it. Maybe someone else will come along that can help you.

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
Nothing, anyone?

My biggest concern is the frequency of water changes during medication.
I turned the UV filter on yesterday for an hour and re medicated.
Today I will change some water out and medicate again.

Any advice is helpful.
Nick

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
Anyone else?
What's the water change protocol in most fungus treatment situations?
It doesn't seem to be spreading, just holding for the last day or two.

I am cleaning and scrubbing the water, then medicating for 24 hours, then doing again.
Testing water daily too.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
With API Funguas Cure you do a 25 water change after 48 hours and retreat. I never used ParaGuard so like I said I can't help with it. Can you post a picture of this fish? Post water perameters there might be a better cure for this if I can see what it is, I'll try to help you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store