HITH vs . ?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Do you run carbon in the tank? That can cause hith
i’ll look - helpful!

there may be a bag buried under the rings…

dang, amazing how sensitive they are…. i’ll start 50% water changes to see if improves…

not sure the effect on nitrates if they are 5ppm doing 50% water changes… i already turned down filter speeds so i would accumulate some nitrates…

thanks kno4te kno4te !

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Do you run carbon in the tank? That can cause hith
This has never actually been proven. In fact there are more people that run carbon without hlle or hith to in a way debunk it....but not absolutely. It's possible still. I know it's caused by either a virus or bacteria so I'd guess it's possibly transmittable. Maybe the new one brought it in? I'm not a biologist or a doctor but I've done a fair bit of research on it when I had saltwater. I took in a few tangs with hlle during that time and was able to nurse them back to health although with lasting scars. I ran carbon and quit running it when this started circulating the net. I eventually went back to using carbon when needed without issue.

Reactions: dr exum

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
This has never actually been proven. In fact there are more people that run carbon without hlle or hith to in a way debunk it....but not absolutely. It's possible still. I know it's caused by either a virus or bacteria so I'd guess it's possibly transmittable. Maybe the new one brought it in? I'm not a biologist or a doctor but I've done a fair bit of research on it when I had saltwater. I took in a few tangs with hlle during that time and was able to nurse them back to health although with lasting scars. I ran carbon and quit running it when this started circulating the net. I eventually went back to using carbon when needed without issue.
HITH is not transferred between fish.

Also here is a study conducted for HITH and the link of carbon.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
HITH is not transferred between fish.

Also here is a study conducted for HITH and the link of carbon.

Yup I've seen that but it's anecdotal at best. It doesn't go into enough of the other possibilities like, water quality, nutrition, and others. There are better arguments for and against. I'm just saying it's never been proven either way.
I ran carbon with surgeon fish and the hlle they had before coming into my care healed. So what does that say? I also carbon dosed to remove nitrate. I know it's not quite the same but it's added carbon.
It's still very unclear as to the causes or should I say additional factors.
Ive never heard of it being contagious or not. It was just a theory as to why none of them had it until this one with it was added.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store