hob filtet turned into a hob overflow?

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
i was looking at hob overflows (im getting one later today) i was wondering how hard it would be to modify a hob filter into an over flow box. what i was thinking just drill a hole in the botom of the filter box and run a pipe to a fuge or sump. let me know what yall think. since im looking at putting a sump under both my big tanks i might try this if yall think it will work

Mr.V

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
NY
um generally hobs are higher then the tank rim so unless u have a inset where the hob wud go ur tank wud overflow the sides unless ur idea is to use the pump of the hob to pump water out into the main chamber down the pipe. In that case ud need to kno the gph and get a proper size pipe to make sure the water goes down the pipe and not back into the tank. its feasible however its cheaper and electric free to just make the pvc ones that work with suction, with this u still hav ur hob to provide extra filtration.

Starting up

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
australia
Hi mate
I have converted a old hob to a external overflow. I have this running on my 6' tank. At the moment i have a 1x1" and 2x3/4" syphons and am only getting around 265g/h. I would like to be flowing around 1200g/h. I'm in the process of upgrading the syphon systerm.
If you are going to do this you need to keep in mind the hight of the tank water and how high the water needs to be in the hob.
waiting to hear how you go:popcorn:

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
i got a hob over flow yesterday. now i am thinking about making a custom hob filter that spans the back of the tank and has four out lets and two inlet pumps but that is still just an idea. i have found it is fairly easy to make a hob over flow from looking at the one i have. so there is no reason to try and convert an existing filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store