Hog choker experience

DrowningFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
In a plastic castle
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with any freshwater flounder species. I would love to add one to my tank. Any info would be appreciated

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Not sure how hard they are to find over where you are at... but just make sure you get the freshwater species and not the brackish water one as they both look very similar in appearance...

I've never kept a freshwater one myself, only bought a brackish water one by accident before... they are from what i've heard quite easy to care for... blood worms seem to work for them with their smaller mouths... other than that not much info i can give you...

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I've had mine for several years now. Great fish. They live off of Endler fry and the occasional catfish tab. Every few months they get blackworms and enjoy these greatly.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
They are super easy! Just make sure you get some smooth sand. Flounders generally don't like coarse sand, as it can irritate their skin. Something from the wild might work best. They actually tend to like mud a lot. When I had to get sand for the winter flounder and gulf flounder I used in my thesis I headed to the bay with a shovel in hand!

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
What kind of water do you keep them in?

Hogchockers would need brackish for long term health. but there are freshwater species in the hobbie if you look around. Tonguefish (elongated flounders) are fresh water. Also some asian and south american soles are pure fresh (you can tell them apart from regular hogchocker by a big price difference. they usually start out at $20 and go up, while hogchockers only go for for $3-5 dollars)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
they live near me, in the hudson river. If that is their preferred habitat, then they need 6hrs fresh 6hrs full seawater, with some wild water temp/salinity variation thrown into the mix. Probably need soft sand or BB with the way they like jump along the bottom and bury themselves.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
I know this is an older topic but everytime I mention mine people go crazy over him. Was told this was a FW SA species, about 8.5" last time he was somewhere I could measure him. IMG_7424.JPG IMG_7356.JPG IMG_7418.JPG So far he seems fine in my 125 and definitely does not have a small mouth. Gulps down 1"+ feeders and shrimp no problem. Super fun fish when you can find him in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store