hole-in-the-head

fsc46

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2005
Southeastern, MA
Just putting it out there. I've read that one of the causes is carbon in your filter. The story goes that it removes trace minerals from the water that the fish need. The treatment takes a long time but here it goes: Only remove the carbon from your filter, then do water changes every week to put the minerals back in or buy it in a bottle and add to the water. Then from there on out keep up with large water changes every week until it heals (could be 5+ months).

On a side note; I have never seen this disease in african fish. Not saying it doesn't happen to them but I have only heard of it in SA fish. I wonder if it has something to do with the acidic water.

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
You could be right there so much is written I mean only a few years ago it was incurable. We think Hole in the Head is the result of poor water quality over a long period of time. It's best to prevent Hole in the Head by doing the proper maintenance schedule on your tank. And a decent varied diet. Filtration does play a huge part as well. This carbon debate goes on I haven’t used it for years I even stopped using it to remove medication in the end just doing water changes but interesting to say the least.

Another interesting fact is Hole in the Head often occurs in aquariums with under gravel filters more than any other filtration. But rarely in aquariums with a BIO-Wheel filters.

fishmaven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
Houston, Tx
www.fishmaven.net
I don't buy the carbon theory for either HITH or LLE. I think it's rationale for blaming someone else rather than accepting responsibility.

BTW, there's been quite a few threads recently on HITH and LLE. Do a search here on MonsterFish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store