Hole on the head

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think my midevil is developing hith.
IMG_8322.jpg

Right above his lip. About 7 or 8 o'clock from his nostril.

I started doing weekly 70-80% changes on his tank a few months ago because the nitrates were going crazy. I've managed to keep them around 20ppm.

Not sure what avenue of treatment to take. I've never dealt with this personally. Aside from more water changes, I'm thinking of trying hex shield.

Anyone care to chime in?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I don't see it. Hex shield is good stuff though.

Reactions: ehh

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
if so, if caught early, pristine water should clear it up.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
It's there. Trust me. I almost s*** myself when I saw them.
It's small. It's looks like an extra nostril. Now that I look at him again, he has another one on what appears to be the exact opposite side. Am I over reacting? Should he have an extra set of nostrils?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I see it, the pit in the pic looks like HITH to me. I would feed a round of Hex Shield, and keep the tank water pristine. 5ppm or less if possible.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I see it, the pit in the pic looks like HITH to me. I would feed a round of Hex Shield, and keep the tank water pristine. 5ppm or less if possible.
Let the battle begin.
None of the stores here carry hex shield so I'm ordering it today.
Just follow the instructions on the container? Feed hex shield for three days and change the hell out of the water until the holes start to close?

I feel like a real piece of ****. I thought I was treating him good. Not good enough apparently.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Not necessarily not taking care of him good.. HITH can happen from the slightest of stress or changes sometimes

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Not necessarily not taking care of him good.. HITH can happen from the slightest of stress or changes sometimes
I still put a fair amount of blame on myself. Only thing different I've been doing is feeding him more krill. Thanks though lol.
He's a big ass fish in a little tank. Wishing I could upgrade him now more than ever.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
How high did your nitrates get at one time and were they there for a long time? Like said, all you need to do at this point is keep nitrates as low as possible. As long as they don't get much over 20ppm on day 7, this should clear up. The lower the better of course.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The Hex Shield might be overkill, but better safe than sorry. It will remove any possible Hexamita/Spironucleus pathogens, and will assist the fish in a quick recovery. (feed twice a day for 3-5 days, no other food) The problem with nitrates is that dirty water equates to elevated levels of bacteria, which in this case was most likely the stress trigger that caused the HITH pits to develop. Lots of clean fresh water will be key in the recovery.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store