Holy moly! Ebay fishing lures?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
eBay has wild deals. Although I wonder about the quality of the things, but then again how often do people actually wear out a lure?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
eBay has wild deals. Although I wonder about the quality of the things, but then again how often do people actually wear out a lure?
I have worn and beat up a ton of lures, sometimes it's the fish themselves that mess up a lure, but mostly it's wear and tear from hitting rocks and debris,being dragged against gravel and sandbars etc

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I'd hate to lose a quality fish to a broken cheap lure.
I have looked at them since I'll be fishing the reefs in Kauai this April and I'd hate to lose a bunch of expensive lures but I can't get myself to buy them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I'd hate to lose a quality fish to a broken cheap lure.
I have looked at them since I'll be fishing the reefs in Kauai this April and I'd hate to lose a bunch of expensive lures but I can't get myself to buy them.
I'm more worried about wether the fish bite, broken lures are usually an indication of poor casting and coaxing skills, just do a quick check and worry more about your reel and line, which are far more likely to break

Copper2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
California but raised in Texas
Just make your own lures. A bit expensive at first for a kit but you could just get the mold and casting stuff it’ll be around $40-60. Then find some clay and mold it into your lure. Cast it, put a wire in the molds cavity and put in the casting plastic and then you’ll have a wire through lure. Even if the lure snaps the wire won’t so you’ll get your fish. Even better is mold and cast a lure that works well for you! I tried it once, and it’s a bit messy to do, but it worked well. Unfortunately my lure didn’t work... at all. Bad skills on the clay molding part on my part!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Just make your own lures. A bit expensive at first for a kit but you could just get the mold and casting stuff it’ll be around $40-60. Then find some clay and mold it into your lure. Cast it, put a wire in the molds cavity and put in the casting plastic and then you’ll have a wire through lure. Even if the lure snaps the wire won’t so you’ll get your fish. Even better is mold and cast a lure that works well for you! I tried it once, and it’s a bit messy to do, but it worked well. Unfortunately my lure didn’t work... at all. Bad skills on the clay molding part on my part!
Some of my homemade lures over the years work great, others may have scared fish away.

Do want to start molding lures tho, or carve some.
Maybe make some modifications to the whopper plopper?

Reactions: Copper2

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Whopper Plopper is top secret!!!!!

I’d like to do both forms of making lures. What are some of your homemade lures?
Most of my homemade lures have been flies, once you have the basic knowledge and materials you can mimic almost any animal (I've even done mice and frog imitations) as well as a variety of fancy patterns.

Reactions: Copper2
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store