Home depot/Lowes River Rocks: Are they safe?

carcinoma

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2005
At home
Just wondering, are the "river rocks" safe for aquarium use?
I am referring to the larger 4"+ rocks that are in the garden/yard section of the Home Depot/Lowes hardware store.
Thanks!

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
I think you would get a better selection, along with price, at a landscape supply.
But, if you must go with HD/Lowes, the bulk of the rocks they sell would work.

velanarris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
Nashua NH
Those rocks should be fine, as the other poster above said, give them a soak to remove the grit and other garbage they blast them with.

tthanatoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
I used a bunch of "river rock" in my tank and it was suggested to me that the manufacturers use solvent based polishing compounds at times so make sure the rocks are really clean before adding them to your tank. I scrubbed mine in a bit of bleach then boiled them and I haven't had any trouble.

fishnut

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
pa
I use the ones they sold at Home Depot. I just rinsed them and put them in my 300 and its fine.

Price wise, landscape area around my house sells them for more as they sell in bulk and HD/Lowes buys their items in bulk therefore price are cheaper.

carcinoma

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2005
At home
For some reason, I remember reading somewhere that these rocks contain certain minerals and components that can leech into the water and poison the fish.
Is this true?

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
KaiserSousay;3252213; said:
I think you would get a better selection, along with price, at a landscape supply.
But, if you must go with HD/Lowes, the bulk of the rocks they sell would work.
i can atest to this. i got about 20 rocks/stones and it only cost 17 bucks at the local landscape stone dealer yard. you can also walk the yard and choose from different types/shapes/sizes of stones. its the way to go:headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store