Home made python.

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
I like my python but would like to use something with a larger diameter to speed up the water change process. I'm wondering what kind of tubing would remain flexible over time and also fit a standard hose fitting.

Has anyone had any luck with making their own?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I like my python but would like to use something with a larger diameter to speed up the water change process. I'm wondering what kind of tubing would remain flexible over time and also fit a standard hose fitting.

If you plan on making one homemade please let me know. I’d love to join you in building one.

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC

I use a standard 5/8 hose and for refills I made up a J hook out of pvc attached to the fitting with a ball valve to shut the water off once it’s full.

Some say not to use garden hoses because of anti mold/mildew made into the hose.
I’ve not had any issues.I’ve used this for years.

If you’re concerned you can find hoses made for drinking water in most Places that sell RV parts and supplies.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If you aren't substrate vacuuming and have a drain lower than your aquariums, consider using sump pump discharge hose and a couple PVC fittings and a strainer to avoid sucking up fish.

The pic below is what I use to drain tanks quickly outside. I have a couple different lengths of PVC that go inside the tank depending on tank height and how much water I want to change. You can barely see the elbow inside the tank with a strainer and sponge over the end.

100_1154.JPG

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
look at Fernco’s online, a flexible hose attachment in various sizes. If you do gravity fed, like out the window of your house for example, you can do a water change extremely quick.

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
If you aren't substrate vacuuming and have a drain lower than your aquariums, consider using sump pump discharge hose and a couple PVC fittings and a strainer to avoid sucking up fish.

The pic below is what I use to drain tanks quickly outside. I have a couple different lengths of PVC that go inside the tank depending on tank height and how much water I want to change. You can barely see the elbow inside the tank with a strainer and sponge over the end.

View attachment 1464586

Wow, that must drain a tank in a heart beat! How do you get the siphon started with such a large diameter hose?

I'd really like to figure out a system to drain and fill with the same hose though. You can't beat the convenience of the Python for that. I toss the end out the front door of the house and then once it's drained I pull it inside and attached it to a faucet.

Reactions: tlindsey

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Well there are a couple ways to get the siphon started with large diameter hose, one is the prefill the portion in the tank with water, raise it quick and hope it continues to siphon AND the 2nd way is to just quickly suck on the end of the hose out in the yard. I use the 2nd method but do rinse off the hose end after I'm done with water changes.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I use one like the previous one pictured, with a 25 foot length of 1.25 inch inner diameter clear vinyl hose to quickly drain into my yard. Then I have a 6 foot section of garden hose adapted to a barb fitting that just plugs into the end of the vinyl hose for fast refills through the same pvc hanger. Then I just move the hanger from tank to tank, repeating the process. Huge time saver!

Reactions: Matteus and deeda

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
I use one like the previous one pictured, with a 25 foot length of 1.25 inch inner diameter clear vinyl hose to quickly drain into my yard. Then I have a 6 foot section of garden hose adapted to a barb fitting that just plugs into the end of the vinyl hose for fast refills through the same pvc hanger. Then I just move the hanger from tank to tank, repeating the process. Huge time saver!
Isn’t that big vinyl hose pretty stiff to work with?

Reactions: Matteus

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Isn’t that big vinyl hose pretty stiff to work with?
It is a little bit when it's cold, but it's not bad at all. Also after using it the sun and water temps heat it up just a bit and it's easy enough to coil back up. If you can deal with a durable rubber garden hose you'll have no problem dealing with this stuff. There may be something more pliable out there but I just went with whatever was cost effective at the hardware store at the time and have been using the same piece ever since. In my opinion this is probably the best thing you could do for yourself if you have several tanks or even one really large tank. It's a huge time saver if your doing a lot of water changing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store