Home made sump, or Biowheel

AnDr3w

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
Davie, FL
Im thinking of making a home made sump tank for my new 75 g tank. There is currently an Eheim 2215 (handles 93g tank). Would it be worth the work and time to set up the home made sump, or just go out and buy an Emporer 400? I would only be saving about 20 bucks with the sump, but am still undecided. Any help or opinions would be great. Thanks, Andrew

AnDr3w

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
Davie, FL
Hell yea is right! lol. What is the difference between a wet/dry and a home made sump tho?

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
A wet/dry is usually in a sump. A wet/dry just holds media that is partially wet and partially dry. The water flows over the media into the sump then gets pumped back into the tank.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
RadleyMiller;678859; said:
A wet/dry is usually in a sump. A wet/dry just holds media that is partially wet and partially dry. The water flows over the media into the sump then gets pumped back into the tank.

:OMG: :iagree: :mwave:

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
Im sure you can make your own biowheel,Ive seen things at the pool supply store that looked like huge biowheels,I thought about it....

you can make a diy sump with a huge biowheel!!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
I made my own, it's no big deal. It just seems everyone likes to buy them (something about eye candy, I prefer functionality)

Dr Joe

lemcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
You have to tip your hat to marineland's advertising branch and diehard customers

when a relative newcomer (no offense meant by this ArRoW A 91)
Believes the "bio-wheel" is on par with a wet/dry

Great job guys

By the way if it is we have all wasted lots of money

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
lemcc;679953; said:
You have to tip your hat to marineland's advertising branch and diehard customers

when a relative newcomer (no offense meant by this ArRoW A 91)
Believes the "bio-wheel" is on par with a wet/dry

Great job guys

By the way if it is we have all wasted lots of money

Yep...:D

Idealconcepts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Moved
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but isn't a bio-wheel a similar concenpt to media (bio balls, pot scrubbers) in a wet/dry/sump? The bio whell is just on a smaller scale? Both house bacteria for the nitrogen cycle, both get oxygen, etc. Am I wrong to think this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store