Homemade remineralizing recipe for ro water.

Cichlid_beast123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2019
Someone was kind and touched on this on my previous thread.

In short I'm forced to use RO water as my tap no3 is really bad. What I would like is a recipe for that will increase the carbonate hardness by for example 3 per 100L. I was told to use crushed coral would I need to pump the water through a vessel containing crushed coral and if so what would the KH be from the exit point I was also told to add some Epsom salt does anyone know a homemade recipe.? I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper than purchasing the mix
Many thanks in advance!

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
To raise the KH without raising the GH, add sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), it will raise PH , google for proper levels for your tank

Reactions: Cichlid_beast123

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
If you're remineralizing RO water, the best way is by using a TDS meter to always achieve the same reading. Otherwise the swings in chemistry will stress your fish. The actual GH or pH readng is not that important. There has to be a solid KH reading to keep things stable.

I read your other thread. The issues with nitrates does not come from the actual reading of nitrates. They're non-toxic to fish in the thousands of ppm, but from a combination of low oxygen levels, especially in the filter, and natural processes such decomposition and denitrification. The nitrates start getting reduced to nitrites in anaerobic zones such as in dirty filters receiving water with low oxygen content, typical in overstocked tanks.

So basically, any nitrate reading in such tanks has the potential to rise toxic nitrites.
The remedy is to keep the filters clean, do no use them as siphons, put a pre-filter sponge, increase surface agitation, increase water changes, add plants,etc....

Using RO water may not solve your problem at all if other issues are not attended to. Also, keep in mind that RO water won't have much oxygen content and you may want to keep it aerated before adding to the tank if you're doing large water changes. Otherwise the problem will become worse as nitrates are always produced in a tank and can then be reduced if the dissolved oxygen is scarce.

Cichlid_beast123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hello mate. you sound like a absolute scientist thanks for this response! Nitrate in the thousands Jesus Christ it sounds scary. So keep filter sponges clear of getting clogged up is that correct? at all times a good idea would be to go into both canisters every 4 weeks and rince in tank water would you agree?

Keep surface agitation at a maximum when I'm not in the living room so push fx6 outlets higher so it's louder and makes more surface agitation is that what you mean. I work most of the day and I sleep as well. So I could do that for about 16 hours of the day.

I do have a TDS tester that's not a problem but I'm currently using the KH tester to get the KH up to 10 but I'm doing that from a product all in one I would rather use Epsom salt and bicarbonate of soda. My whole thing is that what I have learnt is the no3 you might as well keep that at a low low if you can. Also my dolphins do not breed and let it slow the peacocks in the other tank and the Yellow labs in this tank have been but the dolphins stopped .

Yes and overstocking is silly that probably contributed to the rising bioload. Even though I have dual fx6. When you say use a pre filter sponge could you please explain I have obviously filters in the fx6 is the standard ones. I did purchase these blue circle things which are not too fine and they can trap stuff in however I remove them lately because the standard fx6 Media seems to do the job. And those do seem to get clocked a lot faster. Now with plants that's a very interesting subject I wanted to cover another time I have no idea about plants and I hear that cichlids will eat them however I would love to know which ones to install and how to do it because I'm aware that they will be eating the no3.
I was thinking of installing a dripping irrigation system going through and Ro then threw a calcium vessel. And then the exit point through a barrel containing the support system with plants what do you think about that it's going to cost me a few quid but if they could replenish 50l of days of water that would be awesome. But that's in the longer run I would love to learn about plants in the actual aquarium if possible and which plants.

Anyhow considering what you're saying you're saying even if the tap comes out at 25 which it is now and the no3 grows over the weeks and weeks into the actual thousands that this is actually not toxic for fish but what's important is doing regular filter rinsing out with tank water regular water changes as if you don't do that then they can turn into and O2 and kill your fish. And you're saying it's likely that's what happened. So technically you're saying I should use tap water because it will have the correct water parameters and I don't need to worry about re buffering also this oxygen issue that you mentioned. The tap water contains phosphate which are very high that cant remove and that does make algae grow also that RO water will strip everything my common sense mind is telling me this is a better option to go for. It will take away any iron traces as well and surely it must be a good thing if I bring in 0 nitrate into the tank rather than 25?

Thanks for the Post looking forward to hearing a bit more from you :)

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Hello mate. you sound like a absolute scientist thanks for this response! Nitrate in the thousands Jesus Christ it sounds scary. So keep filter sponges clear of getting clogged up is that correct? at all times a good idea would be to go into both canisters every 4 weeks and rince in tank water would you agree?

Keep surface agitation at a maximum when I'm not in the living room so push fx6 outlets higher so it's louder and makes more surface agitation is that what you mean. I work most of the day and I sleep as well. So I could do that for about 16 hours of the day.

I do have a TDS tester that's not a problem but I'm currently using the KH tester to get the KH up to 10 but I'm doing that from a product all in one I would rather use Epsom salt and bicarbonate of soda. My whole thing is that what I have learnt is the no3 you might as well keep that at a low low if you can. Also my dolphins do not breed and let it slow the peacocks in the other tank and the Yellow labs in this tank have been but the dolphins stopped .

Yes and overstocking is silly that probably contributed to the rising bioload. Even though I have dual fx6. When you say use a pre filter sponge could you please explain I have obviously filters in the fx6 is the standard ones. I did purchase these blue circle things which are not too fine and they can trap stuff in however I remove them lately because the standard fx6 Media seems to do the job. And those do seem to get clocked a lot faster. Now with plants that's a very interesting subject I wanted to cover another time I have no idea about plants and I hear that cichlids will eat them however I would love to know which ones to install and how to do it because I'm aware that they will be eating the no3.
I was thinking of installing a dripping irrigation system going through and Ro then threw a calcium vessel. And then the exit point through a barrel containing the support system with plants what do you think about that it's going to cost me a few quid but if they could replenish 50l of days of water that would be awesome. But that's in the longer run I would love to learn about plants in the actual aquarium if possible and which plants.

Anyhow considering what you're saying you're saying even if the tap comes out at 25 which it is now and the no3 grows over the weeks and weeks into the actual thousands that this is actually not toxic for fish but what's important is doing regular filter rinsing out with tank water regular water changes as if you don't do that then they can turn into and O2 and kill your fish. And you're saying it's likely that's what happened. So technically you're saying I should use tap water because it will have the correct water parameters and I don't need to worry about re buffering also this oxygen issue that you mentioned. The tap water contains phosphate which are very high that cant remove and that does make algae grow also that RO water will strip everything my common sense mind is telling me this is a better option to go for. It will take away any iron traces as well and surely it must be a good thing if I bring in 0 nitrate into the tank rather than 25?

Thanks for the Post looking forward to hearing a bit more from you :)
I'll address the points from top to bottom of your post.

I am not a chemist, neither am I a scientist. I am a financial mathematician of some sort :) and a hobbyist who reads a lot and implements what they read about, so what I am advising is based on trial, error and success. It is up to oneself to decide what to do but like to share what has worked very well and I explain where I am coming from.

Yes, filters should be as spotless as possible technically. You should not use them as siphons for detritus! Clean any detritus accumulating in the tank itself at water changes with your normal siphon.

Pre-filers I use are just a block of black medium density sponge with a hole cut in the middle so I can "dress up" the intake. These I wash regularly every week under a running tap water. They do not obstruct the flow at all. I love sponges so much, that most of my media inside the external filters is sponges of different densities.

Yes, keep the surface moving as much as possible. Oxygen is very difficult to dissolve in water and it is almost impossible to have a still water oxygenated tank without plants. Bigger tanks have bigger surface area which helps as well. My tanks are not in my bedroom or sitting room so it is noisy :)

Soda bicarbonate will raise your KH. You don't need a 10, any readable level will keep the tank stable. How much you need between water changes depends on how heavy a tank is stocked as KH is used up during nitrification. When it drops to zero, the pH dips down, fish are gasping at the surface or are behaving sickly and develop diseases..

Espom Salts is Magnesium sulfate. You also need a source of calcium. If you have plants, you'd need all macro and micro elements....hence tap water is always the easiest choice....

Macro elements are ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, plenty of them in a tank. Micro elements are iron, copper, magnesium, calcium, etc...Macro means the plants need them in macro quantities :) How convenient for us fish keeping folks :) Plants have a preference for ammonia, after that nitrites and least for nitrates. So they reduce nitrification, a majorly oxygen demanding process, by taking up ammonia directly. It's a win win situation with plants. I personally would never ever keep a tank without plants long term if I care about my fish's long term well being.

The easiest and most efficient way to incorporate plants is emersed, only with their roots in the water column. This is because they have access to aerial CO2, which is a major limitation for submerged plants and makes them significantly less efficient unless one injects CO2 directly in the water column. I'll attach a picture at the bottom of my tank of my emersed plants. They're planted in hydroton clay pebbles, in hanging baskets, easy stuff to do really..

And yes, what I am saying is that using tap water is the better option in my personal opinion because it has all one needs in most cases and it is stable, unless one has very soft water, a nightmare if one doesn't understand the dangers :)

If you incorporate plants into your setup, those plants will love your extra nitrate and phosphate in the tap water. Algae is not a bad thing in an unplanted tank by the way. It takes up the same nitrogen compounds as plants which I called "macro" nutrients above.

The nitrate in your tap is not a product of nitrification which is a major point. Nitrification is an exhausting process which uses a mass amount of oxygen. It is the low oxygen that becomes the issue. Another contributing factor to anaerobic and anoxic zones around the tank is having deep substrate which is also unplanted, plus dirty substrate and of course the major issue with dirty filters which I explained above. Most people don't realize the danger of using filters as siphons. The accumulated detritus in the filters would result in the wrong type of micro-fauna in the filters....sick fish....

Cichlid_beast123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hello mate wow sorry was busy at work so I wanted to respond when I had a moment.
Right you mention about something about the intake I've got to fx6 are you saying I should have some sort of a sponge around intake area could you be a bit more specific because that makes a lot of sense I could use that as a pre-filter and rinse it under the tap not having to open my canister? That said if I did that how often would you recommend I go into my canister to rent Media out in fish tank water.

I am keeping Malawi cichlids most people say that you can't keep plants what plants in for specific should I go for !

Regarding the KH I was told that 10 would be good for African cichlids but you're saying now any reading even a reading of 1?. I'm thinking the KH must have crashed through the nitrification process and cause me some issues with fish. To prevent that I think doing all of the above and regular water changes which brings in the hard water what do you think?

So I'm intrigued about this plant speciation it sounds like it's going to really help the entire process. And you also mention you wouldn't keep any fish long term without plants. I've had a look on YouTube but I couldn't really find anyone with my sort of fish that has a heavily planted tank
Looking forward to hearing from you many thanks!

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Regarding the KH I was told that 10 would be good for African cichlids but you're saying now any reading even a reading of 1?
What the KH measures is Total Alkalinity which is affected mainly by the following:

Total Alkalinity = [HCO3-] + [OH-] - [H+]

And it is what it holds the tank stable and buffers the pH.

It is not the same as GH which is affected by calcium and magnesium ions and is required in higher amounts for hard water fish. However, if you want to do a KH of 10, I don't see a reason why not.

I've had a look on YouTube but I couldn't really find anyone with my sort of fish that has a heavily planted tank

I am keeping Malawi cichlids most people say that you can't keep plants what plants in for specific should I go for !
I suggest emersed plants if you have the vertical space,i.e. their roots are in the water in planters attached to the tank, the foliage above water, No fish can touch them or eat them so one can implement that in any sort of set up. Yes, it is not popular. I always wonder why. Not many people keep emersed plants, e.g. riparium type tank with any fish whatsoever....I do, not keep malawi cichlids but it doesn't matter what fish one has in the tank. Emersed plants grow above water, it's just that they use up the naturally produced minerals in the water column, improving water quality. It is gaining a lot of popularity in aquaculture, e.g. Aquaponics.

Look up online https://www.aquaverdi.com/ for descrete baskets ideas.

Right you mention about something about the intake I've got to fx6 are you saying I should have some sort of a sponge around intake area could you be a bit more specific because that makes a lot of sense I could use that as a pre-filter and rinse it under the tap not having to open my canister? That said if I did that how often would you recommend I go into my canister to rent Media out in fish tank water.

Something like that. I buy them in bigger blocks here and cut them to size.
How often you would need to open the filter depends on the tank but from experience I've found that the main filter media stays clean for longer and there is no need to open as often because there is nothing to wash. I have sponges inside mine too and they don't even get discolored. Even the impeller stays spotless. Once you implement pre-filgers, open your filter at your usual tank maintenance and decide from there.

Cichlid_beast123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2019
Thank you so much. I take it you're from the wonderful Land of the free!. I'm in the UK unfortunately so that site for the plants won't deliver here.
Seeing the filter pre filter item the black item is really good I'm going to try and find out on eBay and other some I'll do what you say to my weekly water change depending on the bio load and then I'm going to take a look and see! That is very clever to keep the canister clean!

By the way it's been 3 days since I lowered my no3 and it's the same amount my no2 is also at 0.
Should I just keep monitoring the no3 I wonder why it hasn't risen in 3 days about said I've been very tight on the food.

Regarding the plants how many should I get for a 400 L volume tank I would say after The Rock. And say a 220 l and also a small 50l fry tank. What are they specifically called and what substrate should I use I currently have some crushed coral but I do not have a lot because I never wanted it to have issues where it required qlot of maintenace. So I'm worried if the plants won't have enough crushed coral to grow on I really have no clue about this I think if you tell me which plants are by and how much I need for these tanks that will be all awesome !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store