Homemade turtle dock?

jtmoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2008
Indiana
The only painted turtles that can go easily into a 55 gallon are Southerns. Eastern and Western just get too big for a 55 gallon tank. Also bricks take up too much swimming space. You are much better off just buying a turtle dock, its easier and will not cost much more than doing it yourself. I have used them and use them now and they are perfect. The other problem with the bricks is them sitting on rough surface will cause small cuts which in water can lead to infection and death.

The other problem with cork bark is it expands as the water is absorbed into it. If you wedge it too tightly you could break the seals on the aquarium. I have heard of it happening and for me its just not worth it.

If you wanted to you could mimic the turtle dock and make one yourself with cork bark. Just use two bars with suction cups on the each end and drill holes into the cork bark so it can float and move up and down with evaporation.

The problem with using something that does not go up and down with the evaporation is you have to have the water level perfect. It cannot be above the bricks, turtles have to be able to get out of the water completely to let their shells dry off. If they do not they will get infections and fungus growth. If you set it too low they will not be able to get out and bask.

Not only do you want one place for them to get out of the water but you will want two. One on a basking spot and one so they can get out of the water and not bask if they do not want to.

Here is my setup for an example:

Creek_stomper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
jtmoney;4933048; said:
The only painted turtles that can go easily into a 55 gallon are Southerns. Eastern and Western just get too big for a 55 gallon tank.
Male midlands and easterns top out around 4.5''-5'', so either should be fine if the OP is so inclined to get an older turtle. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Josh

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
jtmoney;4933048; said:
The only painted turtles that can go easily into a 55 gallon are Southerns. Eastern and Western just get too big for a 55 gallon tank. Also bricks take up too much swimming space. You are much better off just buying a turtle dock, its easier and will not cost much more than doing it yourself. I have used them and use them now and they are perfect. The other problem with the bricks is them sitting on rough surface will cause small cuts which in water can lead to infection and death.

The other problem with cork bark is it expands as the water is absorbed into it. If you wedge it too tightly you could break the seals on the aquarium. I have heard of it happening and for me its just not worth it.

If you wanted to you could mimic the turtle dock and make one yourself with cork bark. Just use two bars with suction cups on the each end and drill holes into the cork bark so it can float and move up and down with evaporation.

The problem with using something that does not go up and down with the evaporation is you have to have the water level perfect. It cannot be above the bricks, turtles have to be able to get out of the water completely to let their shells dry off. If they do not they will get infections and fungus growth. If you set it too low they will not be able to get out and bask.

Not only do you want one place for them to get out of the water but you will want two. One on a basking spot and one so they can get out of the water and not bask if they do not want to.
interesting, i've never heard of that. i had the opposite problem, the cork compacted a little after a few months and slipped down into the water.

i'm positive that it wasn't the cork's "swelling" that popped the seals, but rather that the cork was forced or wedged in too tightly from the get go. the cork absorbing water wouldn't increase the pressure on the glass at all, in fact i think there was a mythbusters episode about something like that.

i wedged a sponge in between the cork and tank to sure it up for now. a little silicone caulk would hold it indefinitely without any extra pressure on the glass, i'll be doing that when i get the chance.

other than that, i agree with everything else you said 100%.
nice setup btw!! i love dbt's!

SkiTrent

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Denver, CO
m1ste2tea;4933268; said:
here is my dock...here
This is awesome! I have been pondering my basking/nesting area for awhile and this gave a new perspective! I was really want to add plants to my tank but had no idea how. I was going to create a stepping/basking area out of slate tile where the fish can get into but the turtles cant where I could have plants, but I really like the look of this as well. Very creative.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store