Hope for owners of RTGG in com tanks.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I must share my experience of just recently putting my RTGG in with my other mini monsters because it totally goes against what i've read about regarding RTGG and tankmates. He's about 18-19" and up until about a month ago he was on his own in a 180g tank. He was getting grumpy and doing a lot of splashing, probably fed up bring in a tank that was too small for him.

My plan was to set up my new 360g tank, stock it with my balas, tinfoils, chalceus and cigars from my other 180g tank, and then add my RTGG after. My reasoning was that if the RTGG went in first he would own his new tank from the start and bully anything that was added after him. If the others went in first I reckoned he might not look on the tank as his because there was fish already in. Weird logic but there you go.

You also hear that out of all the types of fish RTGG's tend not to get on with are silver fish, balas, SD's, tinfoils etc etc. Well my new tank has been up and running for about a month now and I've been utterly amazed at how placid my RTGG has been with his tankmates, mainly silver fish by the way, balas, tinfoils, chalceus and cigars!

So, anyone out there planning on, and dreading, putting their GG in with other fish, maybe, just maybe, you'll get extremely lucky as I did and end up with a mega chilled tank.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
This is amazing to hear. I might try that in a couple of weeks as im getting all things home for my 3200L plytank next weekend and plan to fill the weekend after that:)

Reactions: Zanzag

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I have a giant albino h and red tail g in a 8 gt 180. The male (red tail) picks on the other a little bit but overall no real issues. The tank also has two adult oscars, 3 8 inch plus pheonix barbs, 8 inch red hifin wolf, 6 inch yetzi cat and 12 inch aba aba. So far so good.…

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store