Hoplarchus Psittacus Spawning Help

Quetzalcoatlus

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2018
Hi guys,

I have two pairs of Hoplarchus psittacus spawning on opposite ends of my 180 gal. Just looking for advice on saving the eggs, as they keep growing fungus.

Will removing the flower pot and rock they are spawning on discourage them from spawning again in the future? And if I were to remove them should i be using an anti fungal medication?

Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Try adding lots of Indian almond leaves. The tannins have antibacterial properties that can make a difference between success or failure.
Is your water soft or hard? Some soft water fish eggs won't fertilise if the water is to hard.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If you can't get Indian Almond Leaves as Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 suggested for tannins. Dead dried Oak leaves will work as well.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I am into free so I use oak leaves. I have gone to putting them in almost all of my tanks though I started using them in Bristle Nose Pleco tanks first. Then I noticed how my live bearer fry pick at them along with the plecos grazing on them. I do enough water changes that the color of my water stays clear, I just enjoy watching the fish utilize them. I your case you`ll need to add a lot of leaves. I suggest taking your time about it. Start with a couple dozen and the add more as you see fit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store