Hoplias aimara (wolffish)

.C.J.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
I wanna know some info about this fish. what is its growth rate? diet? tankmates? could it be tankmates with a giant snakehead?:nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly:

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
Not sure about growth rate as ive never kept one but i've heard its pretty fast they will get 3-4 feet in the wild bigger ones have been caught

Foods would be same as other wolfs Chunks of fish and shrimp are good not sure if they are fussy and will only eat live foods at first as all are wild caught

Tank mates = NONE especially a giant snake head that would be a horrible combo one will kill the other

This is not a fish for the average fish keeper they are very expensive $3000-$5000 because they are pretty rare and they get very big and with they high aggression they all most all ways kept alone

iHonesty

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2011
Indiana, US
sooooooo expensive. and i agree with killer fish, best kept alone.

mikepike66

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
uk
Why do ppl buy predatory fish then try and keep them in with tankmates if the wolf isnt enough by itself dont buy it

younggalaxy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2012
Canada
A very member of our forum has the two mentioned fish cohabiting, there is no way of telling how long it will last. It may also be based on case-to-case and fish-to-fish scenarios. I personally wouldn't want an aimara that would tolerate any formidable tankmates. An aimara in a large tank with a few 'dither' fish is a great sight. Shark Aquarium has a 9" @ 999.99 right now, I've been thinking about setting one up for a long time but I still think it would be irresponsible of me to do so until I can dole out space for a 300G.

Jassem

Feeder Fish
Sep 5, 2016
Not sure about growth rate as ive never kept one but i've heard its pretty fast they will get 3-4 feet in the wild bigger ones have been caught

Foods would be same as other wolfs Chunks of fish and shrimp are good not sure if they are fussy and will only eat live foods at first as all are wild caught

Tank mates = NONE especially a giant snake head that would be a horrible combo one will kill the other

This is not a fish for the average fish keeper they are very expensive $3000-$5000 because they are pretty rare and they get very big and with they high aggression they all most all ways kept alone

They not anymore they about 60 pond here in the UK

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I have a Hoplias malabaricus and it eats silver sides, tilapia, pellets, krill, earthworms and of course feeders but I don't feed live foods anymore. I've heard that the Aimara's is a meaner wolf.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
They not anymore they about 60 pond here in the UK
I have a Hoplias malabaricus and it eats silver sides, tilapia, pellets, krill, earthworms and of course feeders but I don't feed live foods anymore. I've heard that the Aimara's is a meaner wolf.
You guys realize how old this thread is....? Aimaras should be treated the same as other wolves just on a bigger scale.

Jassem

Feeder Fish
Sep 5, 2016
You guys realize how old this thread is....? Aimaras should be treated the same as other wolves just on a bigger scale.
I got two of them bud I love them and they are best fish that I have , but they are not that expensive anymore that's what I meant

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store