Hoplias M. with Cichlids

sevendreamz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2007
Greensboro
Be advised that the Common Wolf, although AGGRESSIVE and a KILLER is not VERY ACTIVE. During the day they are pretty much motionless, moving only from one place of rest to another. At night they are more active, due to being NOCTURNAL but they are not a fish known for swimming around all the time. To me that is their only DOWNFALL, other than that they possess MONSTER TEETH, JAWS, and an EXTREME BITE. They are very powerful and FAST fish, and many make the mistake of thinking they are SLOW or SLUGGISH, they are LIGHTNING FAST when they want to be. You def. do not want to be bite by one and they can tear fish apart with ease. I really love the whole WOLF FISH family....just wanted to give you a heads up on the COMMON WOLF's basic characteristics. There are always EXCEPTIONS so dont hold me accountable for one who's different. The GOLD WOLVES are not quite as aggressive, get a little smaller, but they are the MOST ACTIVE. But the Common Wolf aside from the Aimara are my fav. Common wolves are affordable, the Aimara is for the RICH MAN...LOL...either way good luck on what you decide...;)

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Sevendreamz-thanks I think I will try something else-but I plan to set up a 125 Species tank for a Common Wolf in the future.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Really well I dont plan to mix with cichilds but if I was to set up a 125 gallon What fish could I mix with a wolf?

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
shamrock;1814179; said:
Really well I dont plan to mix with cichilds but if I was to set up a 125 gallon What fish could I mix with a wolf?
i dont know why everyone keeps saying a wolf will kill everything.
they can be kept with any fish too big to eat and can hold theyre own.

sevendreamz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2007
Greensboro
channarox;1814186; said:
i dont know why everyone keeps saying a wolf will kill everything.
they can be kept with any fish too big to eat and can hold theyre own.
Some can I agree channarox, but I have seen some wolves who were solo for so long they dont tolerate tankmates. Even if the fish is bigger the wolf has the equipment to seriously injure or kill tankmates. If you really want to keep one with tankmates I would suggest start it while the wolf is young, and do not feed live foods. That seems to make them more aggressive. It can be done, HELL there are a few vids on YOUTUBE of large wolves in tanks with other big fish and for the most part things are fine. Just remember when a wolf wants to kill something, it will DO IT. Tankmates such as Dovii, Umbee, and etc. are also aggressive fish that will bother a wolf, which could start a fight. Wolves DO NOT LIP LOCK like Cichlids do, resulting in damaged mouths for the cichilds. I agree with Channarox pick tankmates of an appropriate size and that can hold their own. Might be best to do something like this when all of the fish are young so they grow accustomed to being with each other and can each establish their own territories. Im no expert just trying to help you out....

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
sevendreamz;1816116; said:
Some can I agree channarox, but I have seen some wolves who were solo for so long they dont tolerate tankmates. Even if the fish is bigger the wolf has the equipment to seriously injure or kill tankmates. If you really want to keep one with tankmates I would suggest start it while the wolf is young, and do not feed live foods. That seems to make them more aggressive. It can be done, HELL there are a few vids on YOUTUBE of large wolves in tanks with other big fish and for the most part things are fine. Just remember when a wolf wants to kill something, it will DO IT. Tankmates such as Dovii, Umbee, and etc. are also aggressive fish that will bother a wolf, which could start a fight. Wolves DO NOT LIP LOCK like Cichlids do, resulting in damaged mouths for the cichilds. I agree with Channarox pick tankmates of an appropriate size and that can hold their own. Might be best to do something like this when all of the fish are young so they grow accustomed to being with each other and can each establish their own territories. Im no expert just trying to help you out....
exactly why i always buy fish when theyre young. :D
if they grow up together,theyre much less likely to kill each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store