Hot weather heating my water!!!

tdwright1971

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Arkansas
www.facebook.com
Fish tank coolers also known as chillers are like air conditioners for your water. They are way overpriced imo and cost alot to run put the heat out into the room so you have to make sure to move that hot air away. Good thing about them is they dont cause the water to evaporate like fans will.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
If it means my fish taking a gulp of air at the surface, touched the ice and swim straight down to the bottom with a bam, then yes.
Hello; That is not anything that I have observed, but it is good information to have. My fish have tended to check out the ice and have kept bit of distance while it melted, but no strong reaction. I am thinking of using the idea of placing the ice in water bottles and the bottles in the filter on the back.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've tried the block of ice tactic years ago and the only thing I noticed was that the tank temperature dropped a small bit and only for a short period of time before it rose back to where it was.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Tropical fish are easy exposed to these type of temp in there native waters. My tank is currently running 83-87 degrees.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah, a lot of them are.Boost the oxygen and they should make it through the dog days.

rhodes_96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2009
Australia
Tropical fish are easy exposed to these type of temp in there native waters. My tank is currently running 83-87 degrees.
This is the the most logical response in this thread.

Chillers and ice bottles are not needed for 99% of freshwater tropical fish when tank temps get above the norm. Having a good oxygen source is better option.

bigcatlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2011
Colorado
We use window fans and plastic ceiling grating from home depot. Just took off the tops, cut the grating to fit the top of the tank and then put the fan on it facing down. Cheap, easy, and effective.

bigcatlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2011
Colorado
Fans do work. We had to move two of our tanks (150 and 220) to the garage. By using fans, we've been able to keep the water temp in the low 80s all summer long and that's with air temps of over 100. Water coolers for tanks the size of ours were hundreds of dollars. Fans and plastic grates were less than $30...cheap, easy, and EFFECTIVE.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store