House is being tented. Need opinions on fish solutions.

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
So next Wednesday my house is being tented for fumigation. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas of what I can do with my 100 gal fish tank and fish for three days till it is safe to put them back into my house. The tank is an planted oddball predator tank with a thirty gal sump. Mostly polys got a small pack of gold wolves that I think would kill each other if left in buckets to long. Ideas?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I personally haven't but I thought I remember other people tenting and just covering up tanks/sumps but can't say I'm 100% positive about that.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I had a similar problem and just wrapped my tank with garbage bags doubled over to the bottom. Turned off the lights and turned up the air pumps. Some pesticides used aren't water soluble so hope it's one of those. Either that or get some bins with covers and siphon water out and move those bins and do wc's with a bucket and prime.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If it were me, and it was warm enough outside, I would set up a cheap kiddie pool and house them outside. Keep it in the shade to prevent over heating, skip filtration (perhaps use an airstone or powerhead for current and O2 exchange) and do daily water changes in place of lack of filtration. I would also not feed during this time.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I had a similar problem and just wrapped my tank with garbage bags doubled over to the bottom. Turned off the lights and turned up the air pumps. Some pesticides used aren't water soluble so hope it's one of those. Either that or get some bins with covers and siphon water out and move those bins and do wc's with a bucket and prime.
Hello; I would add to this to run a long air line so that the air pump is getting it's intake from outside the tented portion.

How about a call to the fumigation company to see what they suggest. They will likely know the parameters of the chemicals used.

Good luck

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I had my home sprayed for spiders a few years back I covered the tops with plastic and told them if anything happens to my fish Id burn their houses down needless to say everything went smooth

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I would take them outside if possible.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Agree with temporarily removing fish from home if possible. Also agree with covering tank, and would run carbon in tank during and after fumigation. Hope it goes smooth ....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store