House of dragon

FishOnCampus

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2011
Mars
Unfortunately the platinum got a concussion yesterday morning. He is still alive today but I'm concerned he may not be able to recover. If anyone has advice on concussions, please let me know, or tag those that might :(

From the picture you might not even be able to tell. But he swims erratically and can be found on his side or upside down

PXL_20221021_131043235.jpg

FishOnCampus

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2011
Mars
Hao Hao have you ever experienced concussion with any of your many amazing bichirs? Or heard of similar cases width successful remedies?

Update:
He's still ok. I read 1 similar case on the forum from >10years ago where the bichir survived after nearly dying. After eating a live cichlid it just popped back to life and acting normally.

For now im doing daily 50% waterchange, heat to 80, and small doses of aquarium salt

I think if he can survive a week or 2, it might just go away. Primary concern is drowning

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Hao Hao have you ever experienced concussion with any of your many amazing bichirs? Or heard of similar cases width successful remedies?

Update:
He's still ok. I read 1 similar case on the forum from >10years ago where the bichir survived after nearly dying. After eating a live cichlid it just popped back to life and acting normally.

For now im doing daily 50% waterchange, heat to 80, and small doses of aquarium salt

I think if he can survive a week or 2, it might just go away. Primary concern is drowning
I'm not sure if they experienced concussion, but I've definitely had a few that swam erratically (usually from temperature shock/too cold of waterchange). Those survive just fine. But the ones that randomly start swimming erratically usually don't survive in my experience. I've only had one survived, was swimming funny for few weeks. I didn't do anything. it pulled through on its own. Still alive now, been few years. Your best bet is probably just keeping stress low and hope for the best.

FishOnCampus

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2011
Mars
I'm not sure if they experienced concussion, but I've definitely had a few that swam erratically (usually from temperature shock/too cold of waterchange). Those survive just fine. But the ones that randomly start swimming erratically usually don't survive in my experience. I've only had one survived, was swimming funny for few weeks. I didn't do anything. it pulled through on its own. Still alive now, been few years. Your best bet is probably just keeping stress low and hope for the best.
Thank you for sharing! Based on his current state, following your lead of not disturbing it, and so far so good!
Plan B will go into action if his condition worsens, also from the advice of a very experienced keeper on the forum

Reactions: Hao and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store