Housing carnivore and herbivore plecos together?

Mtchell.r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2018
Hi everyone!

Im expecting a blue eyed panaque soon and im thinking of separating a panaque only aquarium since they mainly are herbivores. But i’ve seen lots of people housing Hypancitrus (carnivore) and Panaque (herbivore) together.

My question is, is it okay? Because Panaques arent supposed to eat lots of protein, and i cant control who eats what if they are housed together.

Thanks for ur help!

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Relax. I think you might be worrying a little too much. Just feed name brand, quality foods. Even herbivores like Mbuna need a percentage of protein in their diet. I'd only use foods with marine based protein, not beef or chicken ect.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I too worry about too much protein for my royals. It can cause bloat that why I converted all my carnivores into herbivores.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
feed NLS sinking pellets the 3mm and above and you will have no promblems whatsoever been doing it for years problem free

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
I have some leftover hypancistus in with my Panaque - pseudacanthicus too.

I tend to provide hikari algae wafers as the main food and then occasional put in kabobs with veggies, sometime a bit of shrimp. No issues with bloat for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store