Houston pond temps

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I am getting stationed in Houston this upcoming summer and have been thinking about putting a pond in when I do. I was wondering how I can determine what my temp would likely be though. Ideally I'd like to have cichlids, my thought being Texas cichlid and some other cooler temp cichlids should be able to survive the winters? I know the Texas cichlid is from a warmer part of Texas. My plan was to insulate the tank very well and have some heaters in it, but I would want to leave the fish outside and wouldn't want to spend an arm and a leg heating it. Any thoughts if this would be possible

Reactions: Dloks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most cichlids from southern Uruguay are very cool tolerant, and in fact need a winter cool down to look their best, and stay healthy.
Here are some
Australoheros "red Ceibal" (most Australoheros would work)

Gymnogeophagus quilero

Gymnogeophagus "Paso Pache"

There are also a number of Crenicichla from that temperate region

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If you were to heat it, I think it would be plausible. I spend Christmas in Houston every couple years, as I have family there, and while it gets chilly at night, the days are pretty warm (60's) even at that time of year.

I've kept the Red Ceibal that Duanes mentioned above, and found them to be a very interesting little species.

Another (easier) option would be to keep natives like sunfish, which are quite similar to cichlids in looks and supposedly also in behavior

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store