How’s the weather?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
40°F is about 4°C, which, relatively speaking is tropical for a Canadian winter, lol. When John says -30, -40 or -50°C, that's jolly well exactly what he means, no mistake....and damn cold, temperatures which you in Oz, and I in blighty, thankfully, will never experience.
Yep, our first real snowfall was late this year, mid-November. It will be a miracle if any of that snow melts before April of next year, because the odds of ever getting above freezing before then are miniscule.

But don't assume that all of Canada is like this. I grew up in Southern Ontario, and that southern tip is actually further south than Northern California. RD. RD. is, I believe, somewhere in British Columbia, on our west coast; and as cold as it is in the central and northern portions of that province, Vancouver Island, in the southwest tip of the province, is also very warm, although wet. SW Ontario had the moderating influence of the Great Lakes, and Vancouver the Pacific. Manitoba has the decidedly non-moderating influence of roughly 1500 kilometers of bald prairie to the west of us. :)

When I went deer hunting in southern Ontario in early November, it was a rare treat to have a light dusting of snow on the ground, making spotting and tracking deer much easier. Now...during the same calendar period here north of Winterpeg...it's a rare treat not to need snowshoes. :)

Last edited:

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
My summer camp when we are at the lake - a place to crash and burn after playing hard. Boat and truck stay there in camp, and we commute by car the 4 1/2 hrs between house and camp. When our summer is over, the boat comes home and the trailer goes into storage. Since we only use it in the summer, heating it is a non-issue, but the AC had better be working in the 115 degree heat.

View attachment 1508154

View attachment 1508153

View attachment 1508155

View attachment 1508156
Oh, yeah...you, my dear...are glamping! :)

• Haha
Reactions: pacu mom

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I don't believe the word glamping does that justice! We need a new word for what pacu mom pacu mom does, lol. That's outrageous. I don't suppose you have leather upholstery and a flat screen tele in your tent do you John? Lol.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I’m in Alberta, but spent a good portion of my youth in southern ON, just downstream from you. And yes, Point Pelee is on the 42nd parallel, same latitude as Northern Cali.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I’m in Alberta, but spent a good portion of my youth in southern ON, just downstream from you. And yes, Point Pelee is on the 42nd parallel, same latitude as Northern Cali.
Point Pelee! One of my favourite places as a kid; canoeing, fishing, birding...I love that place. A tiny sliver of Carolinian forest jutting up into Canada, loaded with unique plants and animals: Giant Swallowtails, Fox Snakes, Blue-tailed Skinks and many other critters that were very "exotic" to a kid like me.

I still try to spend a day in the park whenever I make my way back to my old stomping grounds, especially during spring, to experience some of the best birding North America has to offer. :)

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, you and me both, John. To add to that I used to net smelt when they ran near the point. Probably illegal at the time, knowing the kids father who organized the trips.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
It was a gradual evolution. One year we spent over 40 nights in hotels mainly to play on the lake, towing the boat back and forth from home to the lake. There had to be a better way, so we bought a used travel trailer, and our summer camping began. It worked great for a few summers, then my husband did some trading and ended up with a bigger trailer. It was much nicer than the little 27' travel trailer we had, and had a lot of ammenities. Unfortunately, the roof leaked (we repaired it) and we were not able to get rid of the mold smell. The two summers we used it allowed me to come up with a list of "must haves" like a closed off bedroom. So I finally got a new travel trailer that is comfortable with many of the ammenities found at home. I turn 74 next month - I need to be comfortable. We play hard on the lake and need a comfortable place to crash afterwards.

1670278736226.png

1670278774892.png

Playing hard
1670280109239.png

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This just in .......

A mix of sun and cloud. 30 percent chance of flurries in the morning and early in the afternoon. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 20. Wind chill minus 41 in the morning and minus 33 in the afternoon. Frostbite in minutes.

Just seems cruel after viewing the pics above. lol

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
This just in .......

A mix of sun and cloud. 30 percent chance of flurries in the morning and early in the afternoon. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 20. Wind chill minus 41 in the morning and minus 33 in the afternoon. Frostbite in minutes.

Just seems cruel after viewing the pics above. lol
It's not all that bad RD. RD. At least it warms up in the afternoon!!! Lmao.

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm and RD.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
We haven't hit -40 yet this year; it'll come...but so far our limit has only been a hair colder than -30C.

40C? Do you actually mean positive 40C???!!! The only way I am exposed to that is if I open the lid of the barbecue to flip the steaks...:)

When it's cold, you can always add an extra layer of insulation; but when it's hot...you are, literally and figuratively...cooked. :)
Crikey John! My heat loving brain couldn’t even begin to fathom the temperature getting that low! Currently the temp where I am is just shy of 30C!

I didn’t say positive 40C. My brain immediately thought he must mean 40F. I’ve been conditioned into reading most things on this forum as the American way of things!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store