How bad is Plotosus canuis poke?

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I bought two of these from Raymond Chan of AmazingFish in the Summer of 2016 at ~3"-4". They reached about 14" today.

Only recently have I clearly noted that they have this red fibrous structure behind their anus. Dim lighting and carelessness. At first I got super-alarmed and thought they had intestinal worms, like callamanus worms but then I saw they defecate from a pore anterior to that, that is, the anus is closer to the pelvic fin base than that structure. You can see that in the pics below. They both have this structure of about the same size and looks.

Google images show these fish to have this "brush-like thing" too, so I calmed down. Then Silurus said "That's the dendritic organ, a structure found in marine plotosids (and very few freshwater species). It apparently functions in osmoregulation." Per PCF sister thread: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44848#p304418

They eat exceptionally well and overall look very healthy.

Another question though, how bad is their venom? Would a puncture wound really always/often result in a bad swelling and gangrene as the PCF states? Perhaps our Indian peers would know headbanger_jib headbanger_jib ?

Eel tail 1.JPG Eel tail 2.JPG Eel tail 3.JPG Eel tail 4.JPG Eel tail 5.JPG Eel tail 6.JPG Eel tail 7.JPG Eel tail 8.JPG

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Haven't had any experience with these monsters

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Sheesh, any other goodies it's got you wanna photograph Viktor? Just kidding lol looks like a cool catfish. And that's cool they osmoregulate, only other fish I can think of off the top of my head that does are alligator gar. I wonder how it works for them, will read the link you shared now :)

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I imagine things like these would be written about and reported in the news, Jibran?
our news reporters and media is not capable of reporting facts, will check with my friends who might have Info on these saltwater beasts

Reactions: celebrist

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
June 14, 2017 update. Gluttons they are. Probably the top ones I've ever owned. Currently around 18".

Them and their tank mates in a 240 gal:

Reactions: moe214

CLauf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2017
I can't speak for this species but I actually got to speak with a gentleman who had been stung many times by Plotosus lineatus/japonicus. While deep-sea fishing in Okinawa I had the opportunity to speak with the boat captain about the sting of the 'gonzui' native to the area, as everything I read in America is about how terribly painful the sting of Plotosids is. He told me that the sting of a large Plotosus was about as painful as that of a large lionfish, but not dangerous. I would imagine the sting of yours is similar, though assumption is a dangerous thing.

I digress, absolutely beautiful fish Viktor. I'm in awe of your amazing pet collection. What a stunning species!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store