How big can they gulp? Delhezi

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hi everyone. As some of you may know I lost my two Senegal bichirs this week leaving me with only a delhezi in growout. My girlfriend is going to help me shop for more but am also looking at other fish for the tank. One species I have particularly liked for a while is African Butterfly cichlids, they reach 6-8cm and are pretty chunky. Would you guys think they are safe with bichirs long run? Or rather not chance it. I'm not too sure of a dels eating ability and I don't want to find out the hard way. Thanks!

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
definitely not long term in my opinion being only 3" max. my 12" del could take it out and might kill himself in the process. if it gets hungry it might just gator roll the cichlid. I wouldn't put my curviceps in with them. just my .02

Reactions: Hendre

Slightly Psycho Aquatics

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2019
Often times a bichir won't realize he can't eat a fish after he's killed it. When my bichir was under 6 inches, he tried eating my danios, he took a bite out the tail of one (they're all safe now). So since butterflys are slow-moving fish they could be an easy target for the bichir.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thanks for the input! Looking at yellow tail spiny eels instead. Already 4-5" so they'll get a good head start if they need it

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store