How big do umbee's have to be before you can sex them?

cookiemonster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Washington
Just wondering, because I recently purchased 6 F1's in hope of someday getting a pair. Right now they're less than one inch long, so I know I can't sex them now. I have heard that there is a very low chance of getting a male out of a group of juvies, but two of the six are considerably bigger than the rest and they constantly fight, so I have high hopes.

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
Opiate;1164269; said:
they have to be roughly 5-7 inches b4 u can tell..
:iagree:

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
For some reason with Umbees the larger fish when small are usually female. Pretty backwards compared to most cichlids.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
And if they all stay together they will all fight eventually.. I'm guessing if you leave them together you'll start to lose one by one. But they have to be a decent size to sex and to actually be sure you're 99% right..

cookiemonster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Washington
Yeah, I've heard bad bad things about conspecific aggression. As soon as they get big enough to not just slip through, I'm dividing the tank into six sections lol.

PMK I know I promised you pics, so here they are. Sorry that they're such high quality lol :screwy:

umbee1.jpg

umbee2.jpg

umbee3.jpg

umbee4.jpg

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
looking good man. Just wait to see how fast they grow. Ill update the pics for my thread since i told you i would and you could see what i mean

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store