how big should a wet/dry filter be?

Star-Flog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
SINGAPORE
rkc772 said:
does anyone know how big should a wet/dry filter be for a 6'x2'x2' aquarium need? it's around 180 gals and i want to buy a wet/dry filter (i don't want to get fooled by some LFS just to sell the biggest). anybody knows the ratio on gals on the aquarium to the wet/dry?
The rough guide is about 20% of main tank water.

PhoMan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2006
Chicago
I think you also need to take into account the type of media being used and flow rate.

You can have the same result using a smaller sump/media tower with high flow rate using filter with lots of area surface as supposed to using a big media tower with media that has lower surface area. For instance in stead of spending more money on a bigger system that takes up more room, you can upgrade the filter throughput with a more powerful pump.

I have a 180gal that run on 5 gal of bioballs and bath sponge (plastic mesh type) with 1200 gph pump. mine is a diy media tower that has about 4" of media submerged in water the tower is about 2feet high. Filling the media tower I put bioballs at the bottom as these have less area surface and does not get clogged easily, my upper most layer is a mixture of both bath sponge and bioballs. I clean my filter approx. every 8-12 mos.

DIY wet/dry is pretty easy and fun. I'd recommend it. Also with diy you will have more control on what you want your filter to do.

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
Phoman has given good info/advice. I would advise you to try and build one yourself as well. I am definately not a DIY kinda guy and I had little trouble constructing and efficient cheap wet dry. I have two big around 30 gallon rubbermaid tubs stacked on top of each other. THe top one filled with about 7 gallons of bio balls. I am using a 900 gph pump to power it which is located in the lower tub. Once you know the basic mechanics behind how it works you can get as creative as you want and build an awesome DIY wet dry. I built mine for about 25 bucks. (not including the pump) but for a wet dry that is made for a similar sized set up I found prices to be from 150-250 dollars. Good Luck!!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The industry standard is 2.2 gallons of 1.5" bio-ball (160 sq/ft surface area) per 100 gallons of aquarium. So, you need to find a W/D that has a capacity to hold a minimum of 4 gallons of bio-media. You also want one with a 1" prefilter pipe diameter (for up to 600 gph flow). The pump should be able to move 600 gph at a 4 foot head (not rated for 600 gph). This will be a pump listed at around 1,000 gph to give you 600 at the top of the header pipe (return pipe).

rkc772

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Southern California 91744
have couple of question more... if i DIY the Wet/Dry filter what type of pump should i use and what is the best brand should i get the biggest flow per hour, where can i buy some cheap but good acrylic, and egg crate? anyone who has experience? any blue print for the project? and if it happens that their is a blackout (no electricity) would the wet/dry be filling up and will create a flood? :screwy: i'm kinda scared about wet/dry since it's an open type filter. :( hope it doesn't happen. thank you for the advises! :D

6471 Bugs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Maryland
Im using an Amiracle Mr-300 on my 180 fresh water setup. 1200 gph pump. The tank has 3 Oscars and a 14" Pleco in it. No problems after 8 yrs.

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
my plan to build my wet/dry was a 10gal. tank with two small, plastic desktop drawers stacked on top of eachother at one end and a pump at the other end. in between i was gunna put various media. do to money issues, it was never built. if i convert my 55gal to sw, i will try to build the filter. DIY sumps arent hard to build if you get the basic concept. just make a design that you like and try to work any possible errors out.

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
For submersible pumps, the Supremem"Mag-Drive" is hard to beat. A 180 would most likley need a Mag drive model 1200.

I have found that a formula of 1 cubic gallon of Bio balls per 20 gallons of aquarium water typically works real well. If your fish load is going to be modest, you could do less but more bio media typically would be better. I would turn the aquarium over no less than 4 times per hour up to as high as 10 times per hour. Make sure you have an overflow box rated for the gph you plan to move.

To determine the pump size, measure the distance from where the pump is goin to sit to the top of the aquarium. THis is the distance the pump will need to push water up, this is refered to as feet head. Let's say for example, the distance from the pump to the top of the aquarium is 4' and you want to turn the aquarium over 4 times per hour. YOu will want to buy a pump that moves about 720 gallons per hour at 4 fett of head.

You will have many DIY options (and opinions) on how to build a filter. If your not concerned with appearance, a rubbermaid storage tub works well as a sump. One or two kitchen trash cans with holes drilled in the bottom of them, placed in the sump and filled with bio balls maks a good bio tower. A large tupperware container with lots of holes drilled in the bottom of it and placed in the top of the trash can makes a decent drip tray and a place to put a second filter pad.

YOu also could use an old aquarium for a sump and silicone in glass or acrylic sheets to make the differant chambers. Many options out there for you.

Hope this helps.....

Reactions: Blakewater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store