how big

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
well how big will a channal cat get any one know and is it a tempret fish in the rang of low 50 degrees and high 70 or 80 degrees

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
Channel catfish are a temperate species and can handle a wide range of temperatures, but small ones seem to be susceptible to ich, so I would be careful about avoiding major temperature changes.

As for size, the world record is around 58lbs but aquarium specimens can easily reach roughly 30" in length.

I think they are cool looking when they are young, but adults tend to get fat in aquariums.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They go dormant at low temps. but survive midwest winters, they spawn at temps. between 70-85 degrees f. 5lb-10lb are very common, 30-40 lb cats are not that unusual.

sFish3.jpg

sJerry55.jpg

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
thefishofdoom said:
what about pond
Channel catfish should do fine in a pond just about anywhere in the states as long as the pond is not going to get too cold. But for a pond, I'd recommend albino channel cats as they would be easier to see.

turtall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
State of Hawai'i
Like a lot of coldwater fish, channel cats can be pretty scrappy. One lfs once had a beautiful velvet-black bullhead cat he sold us for, like, 50 cents. About 2" long, all the critter would do is hide until feeding time. Then it would emerge, beat up all the other fish and steal the food, then hide again 'til next time. Finally, we released it in a private pond where it became crane food for all I know.
BTW, clearwater channel cats are about the best tasting fish there is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store