How can I get my devil and convicts to spawn?

Bearsjfk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2019
I have a large male red devil or Midas in a 180 gallon with 7 female calico convicts. In the past my devil has successfully spawned with a female devil in this same tank. She is not in the tank anymore. At least 4 of the convicts had successfully spawned in another tank I have. The devil and convicts have been together for at least 5 months. I imagine/hope some of the offspring would look pretty cool. Any suggestions to help get the magic going? Or is this just not likely? The devil has always been pretty peaceful with smaller fish. I do have plenty of places for the females to hide. They are pretty hard on each other though.

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
I would try raising the water temperature and do more water changes that might help them get going but considering there different species it might just be a waiting game

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Don't know if I told you this or another member. Try some colder water changes for a week. This will simulate the snow melt runoff in spring when the mating season starts. Lower the tank a couple degrees as well. During the snow melt runoff the rivers will go a couple degrees cooler.

Reactions: HybridFinatic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store