How can I quickly drain tank without putting pump in the tank?

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
Hi,

Is there away to quickly drain tank without submersing pump or powerhead in the tank?

There not very many water pumps that have attachment for intake. I don’t mind manually starting siphon.

I want to be able to add hose to tank water, start siphon and drain water . Takes too long without pump.

Can I use a power head, start siphon and power up, would that work?

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Look at the Danner Supreme Aqua-Mag pumps. Thats what I use, the model 7, which is 700gph. Takes a 1/2" male/barb connector on the intake, and 1/2" female/barb connector on the output. Can be used submersed or inline. I got the connectors through DripDepot.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I found a cheap external pump on ebay, fingers crossed.
Double check when you get that pump but most external pumps require being primed with water before turning them on.

I sometimes use a cheapy external pump made for draining water from basement leaks or pool covers and I just hook up the suction side to the pump and then on the output side hose, just suck on the end to start the water flowing to the pump before plugging it in.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This is a good idea, but it seems to me that large diameter vinyl hose is crazy expensive these days, especially if you want a decent length of it.
This is true.I coupled two FX5 hoses together which emptied the tank in no time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store