How cold could an alligator gar survive in?

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
So the temp wouldn’t bother them as long as they have oxygen?
I've had gator gars in extremely cold water (28-35f) they were just fine sizes vary from 8" all the way up to 2'. I'm assuming they were captive bred since they were very small during purchase

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
So the temp wouldn’t bother them as long as they have oxygen?
Gator gar have native ranges in the north aswell...There actually reintroducing them into some cold water climates they used to thrive in like Indiana...

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Ya you could easily get the water to not freeze over in parts, as wednesday say. Go for it!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've had gator gars in extremely cold water (28-35f) they were just fine sizes vary from 8" all the way up to 2'. I'm assuming they were captive bred since they were very small during purchase
Gator gar have native ranges in the north aswell...There actually reintroducing them into some cold water climates they used to thrive in like Indiana...
Thank you, guys. I didn't know. I thought gator gars were a thing of south and warmth loving.

Indeed, FishBase says their range is up to the 44°N north, which crosses the Great Lakes, so they must be able to handle frigid water... https://www.fishbase.in/summary/Atractosteus-spatula.html ... despite the "Climate" section stating "subtropical". That's misleading and I fell in that trap because I didn't look at where the parallel lies.

SeriouslyFish might too be misleading when it says the minimum is 11 degrees Celsius, while the water under ice is 4 degrees Celsius. https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/atractosteus-spatula/

Well I’ll wait for the spring to get one. 5000 gallons enough for a gator?
Gallonage is ok but the key is the depth. It should be over 4' or even 5' so the pond draws on the geothermal heat and doesn't freeze all the way to the bottom.

monsterfish21788

Feeder Fish
Jan 8, 2024
Been think of putting a gator gar in my aprox 5000 gallon outdoor pond. How cold could the gator withstand. I live in michigan so the pond would freeze over
If your worried about freeze over use a current pump to keep the surface moving extremely low Temps need more movement, I personally would have it set up so the pump feeds to a holding tank that's kept about 6 to 8 degrees above freezing then have you current pump feed from that so the surface is constantly warmer the pump that feeds you holding tank make sure it draws from the bottom it will even your Temps out to just above freezing allowing gar to breath air . During spring once you don't have a risk of freezing you can turn the heat off . Hope this helps this is exactly what I did for my uncles spring fed pond 13 ft deep it would freeze enough a pick up could park on it . Now we have one corner that freezes which is no big deal , gallon wise it's about 50 to 80,000 gallons we use 3 pumps for the surface as he has a island in middle

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
It's not just the minimum temperature to be mindful of. Even cold water fish can't handle large temperature fluctuations in a short time. So if your autumn or spring season gets a wide daily temperature range especially if you only have 5000 - 10000 gallons then consider a heater until the cold season has fully arrived, and then turn heater off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store