How come they don't eat the Jewels?

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have a bunch of polypterus and a silver arowana. I want to add some large cichlids, but to buy them large it's costly. So I wanted to test my fish with smaller fish to see what happens. I added some Jewel chihlids and some Jacobfriedi(sp?) cichlids all about two to three inches.

The Jewels are still here, the others learned about the food chain. Why? Are they very smart, or tough as nails?

I want to put some Frontosa at about the same size in there, you think they'll get chomped? They cost too much to use as feeders or "test" fish!
stnd:Dfsh

Connor0729

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ontario, Canada
i have heard stories of people who have introduced jewels into tanks with fish that are 3 or 4 times the size of the jewel, and the little jewel ends up dominating the tank, so this kind of thing seems normal.

i once heard a story of a woman who owned a pet store that put a jewel in with her blue-ringed octopus for a feeder. well, the jewel lived in that tank for 6 weeks, and eventually started to pick at the octopus. the woman removed the jewel and put it back in its original tank, where it lived problem-free for quite a loing time.

hardy little sh*ts:D

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Somebody chewed on the bigger one pretty good last night....but it's still here!!! I think I'm gonna have to find some big Frontosa before I even think about adding one.
stndfsh

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
I would not add any frontosa ..i do not think the size of the front will matter..they are too slow and non aggressive .. they would be dead or eaten in no time.. maybe in extremly large tank with alot of cover .... . Jewels are quick and smart but now that your fish are eating live they will eventually hunt them down as well...just my opinion..

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Red Devil;1289470; said:
I would not add any frontosa ..i do not think the size of the front will matter..they are too slow and non aggressive .. they would be dead or eaten in no time.. maybe in extremly large tank with alot of cover .... . Jewels are quick and smart but now that your fish are eating live they will eventually hunt them down as well...just my opinion..
The tank is a 240 long (8x2x2). The Jewels were hiding out under the driftwood, but now they are all over the place.
I feed cut up shrimp all the time now, but they all used to get feeders before I knew any better.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
STONEDFISH;1292072; said:
The tank is a 240 long (8x2x2). The Jewels were hiding out under the driftwood, but now they are all over the place.
I feed cut up shrimp all the time now, but they all used to get feeders before I knew any better.
well maybe they will do okay..jewels are very smart.. i hope so:D

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
ghostknifefish0909;1292291; said:
think about it hard cuase front's are expensive.

-GKF
EXACTLY!!! Why don't I like cheap fish?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I don't mind the jewels getting eaten cause they are 2 bucks. I have tons of respect for them now though!! Little monsters! Are nice at twice the price!!
Fronts are at least $20. A good size one is usually $75-$100 if I can even find one.
stndfsh

croc 2-3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
PA
You will have to raise a frontossa up to at least 7 -8 inches before you intorduce it to the arowana tank. Fish of all types will eat anything that fits in their mouth. The arowanas won't really bother a heavy bodied fish like a frontossa. Patience or purchasing an adult is what it takes in this case.

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Jewels are tough, I put it in to test the same thing. My fish don't touch it, but will eat feeders much larger than the jewel. I've seen it pick on my jag and its alway harassing the convicts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store