How do I know If im a fish keeping expert?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Are you referring to the latest advertising trend on liveaquaria of "EXPERT ONLY" fish? I noticed that too.
Indeed I am, I believe I have seen that title on a few other sites as well. It’s interesting since some of the fish they label as expert only are indeed quite difficult to care for while they label others expert as well even though they most certainly are not. I can give an example of the latter. I have a school of pencil fish that they have offered for sale in their diversden (can’t remember the name to save my life though) which were labeled experts only because “they are very sensitive to nitrites” or something similar. If I, fishhead0103666, can keep them alive then they are almost certainly not only for experts.

Also I love the replies I’m reading on this thread.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
For those people who might think they are becoming cichlid experts, I would suggest going to Cichlidae.com,and take the Match the I.D. test.
I do pretty well dealing with Central American, and Malagasy cichlids, on South American's, I get only fair %, and on African's maybe a measly 10%.
It is a rather humbling and educational experience.

As a general rule, having an "expert section" in in list of sale fish, is a pretty good idea.
It would hopefully keep novices from buying something that would almost be sure to die in noob tanks.
I would guess that if a person has only had an aquarium for under a year, common sense would tell them, they are not expert/adept enough for that "list" of species, and might save the seller a grief because they have the warning they can refer to when buyers start to rant.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
For those people who might think they are becoming cichlid experts, I would suggest going to Cichlidae.com,and take the Match the I.D. test.
I do pretty well dealing with Central American, and Malagasy cichlids, on South American's, I get only fair %, and on African's maybe a measly 10%.
It is a rather humbling and educational experience.

As a general rule, having an "expert section" in in list of sale fish, is a pretty good idea.
It would hopefully keep novices from buying something that would almost be sure to die in noob tanks.
I would guess that if a person has only had an aquarium for under a year, common sense would tell them, they are not expert/adept enough for that "list" of species, and might save the seller a grief because they have the warning they can refer to when buyers start to rant.
I agree and have been saying this for along time. I constantly get "smacked down" because I say things like "no your first fish shouldnt be an arowana" or "try something easier first to see if you even like keeping fish". No I get "dont tell people how to live their lives" and the attitude of who cares it's their money and they will make more fish who cares if it dies. I care! Grrrrrrrr.
Rant done....lol

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I agree and have been saying this for along time. I constantly get "smacked down" because I say things like "no your first fish shouldnt be an arowana" or "try something easier first to see if you even like keeping fish". No I get "dont tell people how to live their lives" and the attitude of who cares it's their money and they will make more fish who cares if it dies. I care! Grrrrrrrr.
Rant done....lol
That happens in a lot of hobbies. There's the idealistic "Let people do whatever they want!" people. And then there's the people that know if a newbie gets a jet as his first RC plane he's going to crash and burn in 5 seconds and then hate and quit the hobby. But a slow, ugly uncool trainer he'll crash in 15 seconds, pick it up and fly again. Then still be having fun in few years and have the experience to fly the jet.

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
This is what i think of the expertise involved in listing a frontosa for $200 or an Acestrorhynchus falcatus for $190

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That happens in a lot of hobbies. There's the idealistic "Let people do whatever they want!" people. And then there's the people that know if a newbie gets a jet as his first RC plane he's going to crash and burn in 5 seconds and then hate and quit the hobby. But a slow, ugly uncool trainer he'll crash in 15 seconds, pick it up and fly again. Then still be having fun in few years and have the experience to fly the jet.
I started off with many 1 gallons with a single betta in each one, I didn't even have the care to maintain them myself at that point. If you had given me a 75 gallon back then then I likely would have quit because all of the fish I put in there would have died quite shortly due to no water changes. Quite a difference between me now with two 75 gallons up and running and wanting to get more.

jbuenavides

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2019
I don't why I find it hard to answer the question maybe I feel like I have so much to learn and acquiring new knowledge is continuous progress. I feel like for as long my fish swims happily in my fish tank, I feed them on a daily basis and none of them is dead then I must say I'm cool with it. I am not an expert but maybe one day I'll be able to have that title. For now, I enjoy this hobby and I couldn't ask for more.

Reactions: Zanzag and tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If you have to ask id say no. Ive been keeping fish for most of my life or helping keep fish that's 40+ years
I just saw this and I must say man, I thought you were around 40, 42-43 to be exact. On the bright side you give off a younger vibe

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store