How do u guys do it?/New Pond idea..

iLove_AreTeeSees

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
Iowa (515)
How do u guys keep a pond heated in the upper 70s while it's 10 degrees outside!

In the spring my parents are planning on building a 10 x 12 SEALED deck on the S side of our house. So I came up with the idea of the pond. I was thinking maybe a 4 x 8 pond on the W side. Got the parents into it. They said it was fine, I wld just have to get a job and contribute towards it.

As of right now I don't know much about it, it could end up being a addition to our house or a well insulated sealed deck.

But for now I'm taking it as a sealed 10 x 12 deck that probably maintains 40 degrees during the winter.

Only problem are:
- How do u keep it heated?
I was thinking a couple 300 possily 500w heaters, covered at night & during the winter when not in use.
- How do u keep it filtered?
Im new to large filtration, so I'm completely up for anything except DIY projects because I am completely useless when it comes to being handy.

Budget - Under 1000$

Thanks Guys!! (I'll try to get some plans on by tonight)

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
There are many filters available for even the least experienced DIYer's. That will help save your budget and allow you to spend more on a good pump and top to retain the heat.

Johnnie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
USA
Muske;3809074; said:
There are many filters available for even the least experienced DIYer's. That will help save your budget and allow you to spend more on a good pump and top to retain the heat.
Muske, you had asked me about my pump and filters previously, and I think my answers to you below are also good for "what's his name?" to read. Jee, I wish that a ponder select an easier handle to post and communicate with each others...such as Muske, Johnnie, Oldmarine, etc...

I've used a $350-Savio to pump water and debris into an UV-filter.

This $250 Hozelock UV-filter traps the debris & kills the bacteria, and rushes the pressurized water into the Old Faithful. Note: Savio is a very powerful pump and debris remover. I have to use a home-made-hose-clam to hold down the cover securely. Without the clam, the filter-cover would be popped wide open.

Click the link below to seemMore pics
http://forum.aquascapeinc.com/showthread.php?p=107618#post107618

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Johnnie - The reason you have the top blowing off is the filter and pump are not matched. The pic looks like 1.5 or 2" outlet on the pump getting restricited to 3/4 or 1".

Before you start flaming someone about there name, think about your posts in the aquascapeinc forums. You got roasted on your pond.

Thats all I going to say.

Johnnie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
USA
Muske;3821838; said:
Johnnie - The reason you have the top blowing off is the filter and pump are not matched. The pic looks like 1.5 or 2" outlet on the pump getting restricited to 3/4 or 1".

Before you start flaming someone about there name, think about your posts in the aquascapeinc forums. You got roasted on your pond.

Thats all I going to say.
Muske, Ok. no offense is taken. All constructive comments are welcome. Speaking of the roasting, BTW, the roasters have hidden behind their 2nd-3rd-4th-handles;thus, I've chosen to take the good with the bad. That's why I'm still posting pictures to share with the rest of ponders. Unfortunately, some other ponders just disappeared after some "roastings". I'm sure that "what's his name" (I'm sorry that I just can not recall his long-handle when I'm typing) can speak for himself. If he takes offenses on my suggestion of creating a simplier-handle, I'm sorry for my unintentional transgression.:help2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store